• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1933-D Lincoln Cent NGC MS67 RD!!

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have for sale a 1933-D Lincoln Cent in a brand new NGC 67RD slab. This coin is as close to perfection as I've ever seen any Lincoln Cent, as the ultra high grade dictates. This date has none finer in both NGC and PCGS, and lists for $6500 on the PCGS price guide (adjust for NGC accordingly, of course). Feel free to email me with an offer or for detailed pictures if you are interested. Thanks! Tom

Edit: I added pictures, as requested. I can display larger pictures if needed. I am not sure what size is standard, and didn't want to be rude posting anything too large after just joining. Thanks!

qsr42t.jpg

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

It is not a coin I am interested in myself, but just for your reference, off the top of my head, it's probably a $500 - $1000 coin. Best of luck to you - hope you can get good money for it!

Hi Everyone,

I have for sale a 1933-D Lincoln Cent in a brand new NGC 67RD slab. This coin is as close to perfection as I've ever seen any Lincoln Cent, as the ultra high grade dictates. This date has none finer in both NGC and PCGS, and lists for $6500 on the PCGS price guide. PM me with an offer or for detailed pictures if you are interested. Thanks! Tom

Why would you list the PCGS price for NGC coin is beyond me - Pics pics we want pics :)

Thank you, CB, for the friendly welcome with no strings attached.

I'll figure out how to post pictures. I didn't see an option to attach pictures. Everything I clicked was for a link, and the pictures are not uploaded to another server yet.

Wow, you guys are pretty hard on NGC, considering this is an NGC forum. I listed PCGS price guide value because I follow that more than any other, and of course assume you all know well enough to adjust the value for an NGC slab. But $500-$1000 compared to $6500? Boy, I guess you really don't trust NGC, James!

Check out the numismedia values. That might be closer. Anyhow, even the PCGS values are inflated. I usually feel comfortable paying up to 75% pcgs value. The thing is, you have to take a look at the pop reports on these things. If it's in an older NGC holder then no, I wouldn't think it would come near the pcgs prices. Even in a newer holder... sure that means it's a nice coin, nicer than in an older holder most likely... but people still see the prices as less than those of the same coin in a pcgs holder. Is that harsh? Nope... that's the market.

But $500-$1000 compared to $6500? Boy, I guess you really don't trust NGC, James!

My guess has nothing to do with trusting NGC, nor did I consult any price guides at all. It's just an educated guess from what similar coins go for on the bourse floor!

Coindude, I'm with you with every point that you made. I personally gauge PCGS vs. NGC values based on what the market actually demands. For early date Lincoln Cents, NGC slabs generally bring about 75% of PCGS value in my experience. Of course there are exceptions in both directions, but if I had to give one number, that would be it. And I do agree that PCGS values can often seem inflated. But the claim made by a member in a previous post for 1/4 of the PCGS price guide is much different than what you and I speculate. Even if one were to assume the coin would only sell for $2500 in a PCGS holder, a quarter of that gives little respect to NGC's idea of a 67. And on the NGC forum of all places! That was a shock of a welcome message.

By the way, this coin is in a brand new NGC slab, with the scale design printed on the obverse label, and the new hologram design on the reverse. It came from a roll, which I think is an exciting bit of information when talking early dates.

Brian,

You make a good point. I should have introduced myself first, at least. That was rude of me. I have never been much of a forum guy, and just considered the NGC forum might be a good place to show this NGC slab. So, better late than never, here's a some information about me.

I may be new to the NGC forum, but not to the numismatic world. My name is Tom Frank, and my business is Numiscent, LLC. I am a registered ANA dealer, full licensed and registered as an LLC in the state of Pennsylvania. I don't know how much weight an eBay record holds, but I have 100% feedback on eBay from 8 years experience. I have been running my business full time now for 6 years, specializing in Lincoln Cents. In fact, they are the only coins I deal in. I'm crazy about them! I've considered becoming an authorized NGC and PCGS dealer as well, but don't know if I can spare the time right now. My wife used to help me out until we had our first child last year. Now she takes care of our daughter and I work alone. Our family's income depends solely on my business, which in turn relies on my good reputation that can only be maintained by honesty, integrity, and relationships I build and maintain with customers. So while I haven't chatted on the NGC forum before, I have a solid footing in the numismatic market and am not trying to run off with your money, as you rightfully showed concern.

But the claim made by a member in a previous post for 1/4 of the PCGS price guide is much different than what you and I speculate. Even if one were to assume the coin would only sell for $2500 in a PCGS holder, a quarter of that gives little respect to NGC's idea of a 67.

This claim is 100% correct on some coins.

I went to HA and searched the 1933 Penny MS-67

Auction 460, Lot 3231 Saturday, February 16, 2008 67 PCGS $4,312.50 PCGS Price Guide $4500

Auction 452, Lot 163 Wednesday, November 7, 2007 67 NGC $1,380.00 NumisMedia Price $2280

So that will give you 30.67% of the PCGS Price Guide!!

I went to HA and searched the 1931 Penny MS-67

Auction 402, Lot 148 Friday, April 7, 2006 67 NGC $2,990.00

Auction 412, Lot 198 Saturday, March 4, 2006 67 PCGS $12,650.00 PCGS Price $12,500.

So that will give you 23.92% of the PCGS Price Guide!!

Welcome Tom. I recognize the handle from somewhere, perhaps the CU boards. I don't think anyone here is trying to beat you up on this but just pointing out some market realities, which you are probably already aware of.

Because NGC coins don't go even close(on most coins) to PCGS price.

That may be true in the modern world that you live in but it certainly isn't true as a blanket statement.

Also, the prices you quoted from Heritage were for a 1933 cent, not a 1933-D, though the results are similar. In the last couple of years, three PCGS coins have sold in that grade for an average of $6133 while three NGC coins have sold for an average of $882. That means the NGC coins are selling at a bit more than 14% of the price of PCGS coins.

It looks to me like James isn't too far off, and it's not due to our bias against NGC, it's due to the markets bias against NGC, at least on certain coins. It doesn't help that NGC doesn't guarantee copper and PCGS does.

Great site! I like your style. Unfortunately... I believe that the price difference was kinda self induced by NGC. Their "old" "looser" style of grading made them the second tier with the only first tier being PCGS. There have been and always will be PQ coins in NGC slabs, but even most of those... speculators will crack out and send in to PCGS to get the price difference. It's just the crazy world we live in.

Your best bet might be to send it to CAC and see if it will sticker. Either that or send the coin to PCGS and see if it will cross at that grade. If it will, you'll easily make your money back. The thing is... even the people who prefer NGC... they'd automatically think that the coin is a premium 66 at PCGS.

Nice photography by the way... what setup do you use?

Because NGC coins don't go even close(on most coins) to PCGS price.

I absolutely do not believe this. On the contrary, my experience has been that the vast majority of coins are valued about the same between the two grading services. However, those that are PCGS-registry-dependent are definitely valued much differently.

Where are my manners welcome numie ... You should introduce yourself in the Tanget or Coins forum as there are quite a few that do not venture down here.

The coin in question is striking to say the least and nice photo - I see only a couple of distractions to the eye which is saying a lot for a lincoln ( carbon spec and tone spot and dont in the middle of 'one' )

Real nice