• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between a 1888-O VAM 4 and a 1888-O Double Die Obverse?

8 posts in this topic

I had noticed some slabs that stated "Hot Lips VAM 4" and others that stated "Double Die Obverse"

I checked it out on VAM world and it appears to be the same....but

...is there a difference?

There are at least thirteen that have doubling in one form or another on the obverse. All of them are considered DDO's. You didn't say which company slabbed them or if they were self-slabbed. If the DDO isn't listed as a "Top 100" or "Hot 50", NGC & PCGS won't include it on the insert. It's my understanding that ANACS and ICG do a pretty good job of researching other VAM's. If it was slabbed by some other grading service or self-slabbed, it's possible that they couldn't determine or couldn't find a specific VAM for it, so they just added DDO to the insert.

It's just a guess, but photos would help.

Chris

There are at least thirteen that have doubling in one form or another on the obverse. All of them are considered DDO's. You didn't say which company slabbed them or if they were self-slabbed. If the DDO isn't listed as a "Top 100" or "Hot 50", NGC & PCGS won't include it on the insert. It's my understanding that ANACS and ICG do a pretty good job of researching other VAM's. If it was slabbed by some other grading service or self-slabbed, it's possible that they couldn't determine or couldn't find a specific VAM for it, so they just added DDO to the insert.

Chris

Yes, the slab, I should have mentioned. It is PCGS. Here is a fuzzy pic; matches the doubleing on the obverse...

DDO.jpg

Chris

Yes, the slab, I should have mentioned. It is PCGS. Here is a fuzzy pic; matches the doubleing on the obverse...

DDO.jpg

I can't tell anything form that photo. It looks like one of my blurry attempts. What doubling? Where? Can you get any close-ups?

Chris

No, that is the only pic I can get, I was a making sarcastic reference to the picture being fuzzy similiar to the "doubling" of the obverse.

I was hoping to read the number, but I can't. It definitely does say

"Doubled Die Obverse" on the front, so it must be a type of the VAM 4. I will try to get more info like the pcgs number.

No, that is the only pic I can get, I was a making sarcastic reference to the picture being fuzzy similiar to the "doubling" of the obverse.

I was hoping to read the number, but I can't. It definitely does say

"Doubled Die Obverse" on the front, so it must be a type of the VAM 4. I will try to get more info like the pcgs number.

You're missing my point. Just because it says DDO does not mean it is a VAM4.

All of the following VAM's are DDO's for the 1888-O:

I miscounted before. There are 15 other DDO's besides the VAM4.

Chris

Yes, there are many doubling type 1888-O VAMs. The pop report had "DDO" as a subtext to "VAM-4". So, I called them and apparently if a coin is noted to be a VAM-4, but the attibution is not paid, then it is designated as a "DDO". Upon resubmit and for a variety, it will be labeled as a VAM-4.

Thanks for the info, though, it did help. I went ahead and bought her.

Yes, there are many doubling type 1888-O VAMs. The pop report had "DDO" as a subtext to "VAM-4". So, I called them and apparently if a coin is noted to be a VAM-4, but the attibution is not paid, then it is designated as a "DDO". Upon resubmit and for a variety, it will be labeled as a VAM-4.

Thanks for the info, though, it did help. I went ahead and bought her.

Actually, I'm surprised that they even attributed the DDO. I've had good luck finding unattributed VAM's in PCGS holders simply because the original submitter either didn't realize it was a VAM or didn't pay for the attribution service.

Congratulations on the find!

Chris