• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853-O half dime no arrows

19 posts in this topic

I recently found this half dime metal detecting near an old fort in Nevada, near the old Central Pacific Railroad line. It is the1853-O no arrows half dime. My brother stated that he read on-line it can be pretty valuable if in good condition. Could anyone give me a ballpark estimate on its grade? Is it worth having graded? Will one of the grading services slab it? Thanks for any information. I am trying to add the photos but I cannot figure out how...will try later.

If you can get a picture of it that would help tremendously. Of the half dimes of that decade and then a bit, that is the only one that actually brings a premium.

In good that coin could bring $150. But you must consider the fact that the coin was dug up and most likely carries some damage because of that. Do not try and clean the coin, hopefully you haven't already. At any rate, it's a rarer coin, I wouldn't consider it rare, but it's a semi key date.

So, all in all, don't clean it, get some pictures, you never know, you may even get a decent offer here. The guys here are very knowledgeable and will give you a fair offer.

And, thanks for stopping by, hopefully it wasn't just a drive by.

If you have an editing program you can use the scale option to shrink it down. Or you can post it on photobucket.com and put a link to it in your next post.

Not bad for a dug coin. Anyone think NCS for this one?

By the way awlgone, if you click on an IMG line(rather than html) under your photobucket picture then right click in your post,the picture will show up here.It will look to you like a link until you finish posting,then the pic will be in your post instead of a line of text.It's pretty neat..

I would definitely send that coin to NCS to be conserved and NGC graded if not bagged. At least NCS would conserve it, seal it and place a details grade on it for you. It would be the best money you ever spent and would be returned many times. JMHO.

Jim

Wow, that really looks great for having been dug. What a find there. I'd definitely send that to NCS and see if I could get it into a slab. I'm gonna bet you've already received offers from some guys here!

The rough spots on the rim in the photo are dirt. I decided not to even clean it. It looks like corrosion on the rim, but it is mainly dirt I think. When I got the signal with my metal detector, it was pretty weak, and when I finally located it, I could not believe how small it was. I found a bunch of indian head pennies with it that day, including an 1877. It was a great time.

It is around an old fort. I am told the Indians camped around the fort and traded with the soldiers... We have found Indian head pennies with holes drilled in them, 2 1/2 cent pieces, and a rather unique token, a CPRR (Central Pacific) cordwood token. The earliest CPRR steam engines used wood instead of coal to fire the boiler, so they would buy wood from people (Indians) who would cut it and stack it along the right of way. So the engineers did not have to carry cash, the CPRR issued these tokens, and when the engineer stopped and put on a cord of wood, he would "nip" the token, and the person would take the token to the agent, who would pay them in cash. After the maximum cords were "nipped", the token was no good anymore... This site was not at all usual for me, and I found more stuff than I have ever found in any other place... Maybe a once in a lifetime.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg