• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just learned something new about PVC holders.

12 posts in this topic

As a coin collector I am well aware of what PVC can do to a coin. I just learned something new about PVC that I was not aware of.

Today I took some of my paper/cloth space items to a conservationist/preservationist (recommended by the De Young museum), to "neutralize"/preserve various paper items before they get put in picture frames etc. I brought the items to her house in the PVC "sleeves" they were placed in by the auction company that sold them. She mentioned to me that PVC can screw up paper that you wish to preserve. In some cases it can "strip" the ink off of the paper if it is in contact with it for any period of time. She recommended that any paper items one wanted to preserve should be in mylar "sleeves".

Yes, PVC is a mennace across the field of artifact conservation/preservation. Further, it is typical for many companies, including coin companies like Heritage and even NGC, to use soft vinyl flips and other products. They are cheaper and easier to get the coin out of without scratching, and some people feel they are acceptable for short term storage. Though, from first-hand experience, I know they are not.

When framing your documents, only use matboard and foamcore of archival quality. Make sure that acid-free paper is used to seal the back of the frame. NEVER use cardboard.

Chris

As a coin collector I am well aware of what PVC can do to a coin. I just learned something new about PVC that I was not aware of.

Today I took some of my paper/cloth space items to a conservationist/preservationist (recommended by the De Young museum), to "neutralize"/preserve various paper items before they get put in picture frames etc. I brought the items to her house in the PVC "sleeves" they were placed in by the auction company that sold them. She mentioned to me that PVC can screw up paper that you wish to preserve. In some cases it can "strip" the ink off of the paper if it is in contact with it for any period of time. She recommended that any paper items one wanted to preserve should be in mylar "sleeves".

I learned that the hard way. I had my ANA membership card in a little plastic sleeve (not mylar, obviously) and now all the ink is gone off the front. It's just a blank membership card, and the ink is stuck to the plastic.

Wow,that '24 SLQ is up to $488(incl.fees). Is an 1924 MS 63 FH Standing liberty worth that even without the green goo?

Sorry, just checked.It's a 24-D. $1200(without PVC) according to ATS.