• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3CN article in the latest Coin World.

17 posts in this topic

Check it out! It is a very interesting article.

But, as a type collector, I was more interested in what the author had to say about my 1886 proof-only type coin.

It is personally rewarding to know that my coin (obtained from our own michael from NY three yrs ago) is a top example with gorgeous tissue-blue toning. I gave a decent premium for it at the time but it was well worth it! I usually much prefer to pay a premium for a truly PQ coin than full value for a dog.

[font:Comic Sans MS]The date 1886, a proof-only piece, seems like a real

sleeper. With only 4,290 pieces minted, they don't seem

to be all that common or easy to find. Many 1886 examples

don't look very attractive, which makes it tough to find

a choice example (really a generality for all proof 3cn

coins).[/font]

i still have to get the time to read that new coin world article on three centers

i have taken a quick glance at it and the photography of the coins in the article is utterly fantastic!!

i hope to get to read it tomorrow (thumbs u

kudos to bruce our own prethan on the ngc boards for writing it :applause:

a true passion and labor of true collecting

By the way, Victor, I attempted to have your 1886 Proof 3CN picture published but the resolution was too small for the editor. However, the caption gives you credit (by mistake) anyway. My coin that's shown has deep golden mirrors but it in no way compares to yours. Both of our coins are rare for 1886 as many (maybe even most) of those have a not-so-appealing look to them.

Hi, Bruce.

I read your article on the 3 centers this afternoon. Really nice job!!! Very interesting and it motivated me to dig out my only example. I am attaching a scan in the hopes that you can tell me if it is a "1 in neck" variety. The scan is lousy, but it's the best I could do with playing with the dpi's....or whatever those things are... (shrug)

I can't quite spot it in the picture in Coin World but if I knew where to look on the neck...I would like to give my example another exam to see if it is the "1 in neck" variety. Thanks a lot...and keep up the good work!!! Sorry about the horrible scan...my photos are even worse! :P RI AL

3cents3-1.jpg

EZ_E

Just wanted to tell you how very much I am enjoying the photos of your fabulous collection!!! I'm slowly working my way through the pictures, and am truly impressed with the beauty of the collection you have built!

Ri AL

EZ_E

Just wanted to tell you how very much I am enjoying the photos of your fabulous collection!!! I'm slowly working my way through the pictures, and am truly impressed with the beauty of the collection you have built!

Ri AL

WoW! I was truly flattered by your complement. Thanks, Al. :blush:

I have a few raw coins that I need to send in for grading. I just need to get around to filling out the paperwork.

The other early issues I've been holding off purchasing for now. I'm kind of hoping that there prices will drop but I doubt that "good" coins will be loosing their values. Still, a man can hope.

Yea...the paperwork for submission is a bit of a drag...but if I had coins like yours...I'd do it 24/7, standing on my head, in the nude, during a blizzard.

Beautiful coins, EZ-E. Fabulous collection!

Ri AL:

I'm glad you liked the article.

Your picture is a bit small, but I think it's the "1" in neck variety. By the way, the picture in Coin World is not that same variety, plus it's uncirculated unlike what it says in the caption. I had to switch images out late in the game and Coin World overlooked that I changed the caption as well.

By the way, there's a slightly more interest "1" in neck variety which yours might be. If there's a tiny raised dot between the "8" and the "7", it's the clashed die variety. According to Alan Gifford it's a bit more scarce, but they're still readily available as far as 1875 issues go.

prethen

Thanks for the information on the 1875. NO dot between my 8 and 7 so I assume my coin is just a "normal" 1875.

Again, very much enjoyed your article. Hope to read more stuff of yours in the future.

Thanks. RI AL

bruceswar...

Thanks for the thought anyway!! I never heard of the "i in neck" variety...so I'm no worse off now...I just know more.