• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin collectors need your opinion?

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so I sent this coin off with some other beauties to NGC and I just received the grade today. I was wondering what grade the experienced Franklin collectors would assign to this coin. Thanks, I will list the results later...

Jon086-1.jpg

Jon088-1.jpg

The luster seems flat, maybe just the photo. If the luster is there, the coin seems pretty mark free. I would call it a 65 maybe a 66. If the luster is muted, then a 64. Not sure on the FBL, as I don't collect these, and I'm not sure what criteria must be met for this designation.

JJ

My initial reaction was that with muted luster the coin would likely grade lower than you had anticipated and then you already posted that this was the case. It still looks like an attractive coin, however.

I was going to say that it looks clean enough for a 65, but the luster and generally unattractive toning would make it a 64 to me. The strike seems to be pretty strong, note especially the wisps of hair above his ears and the eagles feathers. The picture doesn't show the bell lines very well, but that is an artifact of the lighting. The 1959D, even though it is the last issue before the hub was reworked, generally comes very well struck. Comparing it to a 1948 will show the lack of detail - especially in his hair and the lettering on the bell, but it is still well struck.

Nearly all 1959-D mint set Franklins have flat, satiny luster, so it's no mystery why this coin looks dull. My grade is a strong MS65FBL. I don't see anything holding it back from MS66, actually, but if there is any noticable chatter not showing its going to end up grading lower, so 65FBL it is.

NGC will dock it for the dark toning on the reverse rim, and they probably won't spend enough time on it to remember the flat luster of this issue. I'm not surprised that you got the grade you did (I saw the answer elsewhere), but I think the grade you got is incorrect.

In hand I graded the coin MS66.......the surfaces are about as clean as I have seen......the strike isn't the greatest and the luster is typical for the grade......I am sorry but a 64 is just too low for this coin.....nothing is hidden in the photo.