• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locating Morgan AU CC's is akin to finding a needle in a haystack

5 posts in this topic

At least for some of the years, like 80, 81 and 85.

Collecting, like hunting, has stages you go through until reach the stage that you let the 12 point buck go by because you just KNOW that a 30 point is right behind him...

I decided, after getting MS CC's, for the years that I could afford with a few XF thrown in, that AU's look better and are just more interesting to own because they appear more original while still retaining much detail.

But.. I am discovering that it is a challenge trying to find decent AU's, if any, for some of the CC years.

doh!

Ahhh...never stop learning about this trade!

PS: What is the deal on an 1885 sheeting almost the same from about XF to MS64? Is it simply because of the complete rarity?

That is because almost all of the total CC dollars that exist for 1880, 81 and 85 were sold as BU coins in the GSA sales in the 1970's. The few coins that were in collections prior to that were mostly circulated examples that had been circulated for long periods of time. There are almost no AU coins for these issues.

NGC has certified no GSA-CC dollars for any of these three years. Plus there are fewer than (12) certified AU-CC dollars total for any of those years certified by NGC in all AU grades. This should give you an idea of how hard it would be to find an AU-CC dollar for any of these three dates.

I read an article about the CC dollars recently, and the article stated that almost all of the production for all years never went into circulation. They remained stored in bags until the Treasury releases. That is why it is so hard to find them in AU grades. What few did make it into circulation are usually heavily worn.

I guess the only alternative you'd have in order to collect AU grades would be to buy them in MS and carry them around in your pocket for a while. :insane:

Chris

I read an article about the CC dollars recently, and the article stated that almost all of the production for all years never went into circulation. They remained stored in bags until the Treasury releases. That is why it is so hard to find them in AU grades. What few did make it into circulation are usually heavily worn.

I guess the only alternative you'd have in order to collect AU grades would be to buy them in MS and carry them around in your pocket for a while. :insane:

Chris

Excellent suggestion! doh!

Honestly. I mean why not? If a 1885 is $25 dollars in difference between a MS60 to AU58, then the money is immaterial and the rarity is assured.

Yes, a bit crazy, but it is hobby, right?! :makepoint:

I decided, after getting MS CC's, for the years that I could afford with a few XF thrown in, that AU's look better and are just more interesting to own because they appear more original while still retaining much detail.

If you do find any of the dates in AU, the prices are about the same as they are for Mint State coin. The reason is that, as you have found, the coins barely exist in AU and even lower grades.

A second point is virtually all of the CC dollars you see from 1880 to '85 are original white coins. They have not been dipped. These coins were stored in bags where the air could not get to them. The coins with great color probably got that way because they were in contact with the inside of the bag.