• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time-Sensitive Question (Auction) - What Do You Think of This Coin?

8 posts in this topic

Silver Washington Quarter, 1940, PCGS MS-66. Heritage Link: http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=68092&Lot_No=62136

I really like the blue/purple toning along the bottom of the obverse, but it's a weird color, I think. But then PCGS generally throws out ATs, right?

This type of toning is indicative of coins that spent considerable time in a paper or cardboard holder such as an original bank roll. I would bet that this was part of a roll submission and many other coins of this issue were submitted at the same time. It is natural, will not show up at every angle and is what I call "phlegmy toning". Additionally, most folks do not care for it in-hand and this might be because they are so accustomed to dipped white pieces. It is not AT.

This type of toning is indicative of coins that spent considerable time in a paper or cardboard holder such as an original bank roll. I would bet that this was part of a roll submission and many other coins of this issue were submitted at the same time. It is natural, will not show up at every angle and is what I call "phlegmy toning". Additionally, most folks do not care for it in-hand and this might be because they are so accustomed to dipped white pieces. It is not AT.

there ya go with that whole phlegmy toning thing again.... :makepoint::insane:

there ya go with that whole phlegmy toning thing again.... :makepoint::insane:

Actually, I might have been correct about the original roll thought since I just went to the PCGS site and the coins submitted directly before this piece were also the same date and denomination. Therefore, I strongly think this is real "phlegmy toning.[/i] (thumbs u