• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you consider Varieties as part of a TRUE Morgan Set ???

11 posts in this topic

I have decided NOT to add them to my set - What are your feelings on the subject.

The coins in question are :

1879-CC LARGE/SMALL CC "CAPPED"

1882-O/S

1887/6-O

1887/6

1900-O/CC

It depends on how you define your set - there is no right or wrong answer. If you want varieties, then add varieties! Some people want a Redbook set, some people want their set as defined by the Registry, some people want a straight date set, some people want a set with date/mms. It really comes down to whatever makes you happy.

It depends on how you define your set - there is no right or wrong answer. If you want varieties, then add varieties! Some people want a Redbook set, some people want their set as defined by the Registry, some people want a straight date set, some people want a set with date/mms. It really comes down to whatever makes you happy.

exactly

i collect the varieties, they bloom out the set that much more... why not. they're fun. and they're made of silver.

There is no right or wrong way. I collect VAM's, but not all of them. If I tried to collect all of them, I'd be broke. Let's see.......3000+ VAM's x how much? I only collect the ones that interest me.

At the same time, I know that I will never own a complete set of Morgans in the grades that I want. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I cannot afford more than $2000 for any one Morgan, and CDN Bid shows that there are 20 Morgans that exceed this in MS63. In total, that comes to $426,560 if you include the 1895 Proof. What would be the retail value? $600,000? $700,000? More? I'd have to win the lottery!

So, hunting for certain VAM's does keep me involved with the Morgan set.

Chris

It depends on how you define your set - there is no right or wrong answer.

myself personally i would leave them out as they are not part of a complete set

a complete set in my minds eye is a complete date and mintmark set

no more no less and not including the 1895 which is proof only

That would be my definition also - Thank you Michael for putting into words what I meant to spell out.

I would consider varieties like that part of an "extended set." I would say the basic set is the date/mint set that you can then expand with the VAMs.

This is how I look at it as well (thumbs u

That would be my definition also - Thank you Michael for putting into words what I meant to spell out.

(thumbs u

all those coins together in a complete set and then out out on a table would be really something cool/sexy to look at and quite saleable and marketable in this market and i think a great set in terms of value and opportunity