• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should a slabbed coin be sent in for Conservation.

4 posts in this topic

I have a dilema and I'm hoping the board could give me a little advice, extra knowledge and guidance on this. I just received coins back from NGC that are in the year of 1960's and about 1/3 have a sticker on them that say NCS has evaluated the coin saying it's a good candidate for conservation. I wonder if this is a good idea? Does this help to perserve the coin longer in its slab? Does this help the grade to go up? I looked at the grade received and just one grade up does not cover the cost of conservation and having it reslabbed by NGC after conservation. So I am asking the board for any help in this matter or if anyone has had any experience before with this. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Papag

I think your best bet would be to post this on both the Ask NGC and Ask NCS boards, however, I will give an opinion. These seem like unsolicited offers for service and, as such, I would be very cautious about following through on them. Since the coins are relatively modern, they may have some scattered, light toning or haze on them that might make them somewhat less attractive to many folks. If this is all there is, I would pass. Also, since NGC has already apparently graded and slabbed them, they are likely fine the way they are.

Thanks TomB

I do appreciate the advice and I have posted in both Ask NCS and Ask NGC to see what other advice and comments I can get. Thanks again.

Papag

I'm with Tom on this. The problem with the stickers approach is that, should you follow through and have the coins conserved, you'll pay the following fees:

• TWICE the normal round-trip shipping;
  • TWICE the normal grading; and
  • NCS evaluation/conservation.

In my opinion, this unsolicited evaluation would be far more valuable and attractive were NGC and NCS to have a system in place whereby, should they perform such evaluation, they contact you in advance of the grading and encapsulation to ask if you'd like NCS to conserve the coin. This way, you're simply opting to insert NCS in the processing chain ahead of NGC, which is as it really should be.

I hope NGC and NCS will consider this possibility. It makes much more sense than forcing an extra round-trip and grading cycle, both of which strike me as an unnecessary waste.

Perhaps the problem is cost effective process. With an appropriate email and/or web form system in place, this option could be streamlined in such a way as to make it more enticing.

Having said that, NCS does great work.

Best regards,

Beijim