• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bored and desperate I stumbled upon.......................

12 posts in this topic

Ok so I have been buying up the kitchen sink lately which can be a fun but frustrating experience if you don't have patience....exhibit A ----> ME

So As I scanned Ebay looking for Toned coins, especially Morgans with good eye appeal I realized quickly that there were three kinds of coins present:

#1 AT Garbage

#2 Stunning Rainbow that while nice were clearly out of my price range

#3 Nice coins that were priced as if they were MS67* monsters :screwy:

So after days of seaching and picking off a few winners I turned to heritage, Northeast, and a slew of other sites looking for the right eye appeal/price combination that always seem elusive when I have cash to burn doh!

I had all but given up hope and had resigned myself to having to wait a few days and then pick up the hunt on Ebay all over again when......my curosity got the best of me and I decided to see when the next coin show was in the central Florida area. I pulled up the website and...........

Sept 5 through Sept :o:o:o

Oh my GOD....what time is it now I thought...4:30pm....what time does it close.....6:00pm which means dealers would probably be out of there by no later than 5:30pm ....out of time...out of time...to much to do....run to the ATM...check...oh it will only let me pull out $200 :censored:

What the heck can I buy with $200 dollars.....what about my daughter...have to puck her up from the Ex mother in law.....no time no time... :frustrated:

Ok calm down...call the Ex mother in law.....can I pick up the baby late....I have a few erands to run....? YES ok bingo I am back in the game.....now onto my local bank branch......grab another wad of cash and we are on our way. Everyone's driving like 20 miles and hour.....don't these people know there's a coin show in town (shrug).....get out of the way losers....I need to go spend obscene amounts of money on little shinning disc's.....is nothing sacred these days :sumo:

Ok ok...I made it....just before 5pm...security guy looks like a hitman from Sapranos.....tells me to grab my name tag.....I actually did for fear of him coming after me if I didn't :flamed:....ok got my ticket for some door prize drawing even though I will never hear the announcement...I am in a hurry people......ok I get a free coin....grab an envelope......ok got it.....on to the dealer tables.

First stop....two nicely toned coins....One's a common date MS63* Reverse Bag toned beauty.....How much I say..? $245 the elderly gentleman responds....ok not to far out of what I think it's worth...would certainly pull that on Ebay. Next I point too a very pretty 1880-S in MS67* with a nice crescent of color on the Obverse....please be in my price range...please be in my price range :wishluck:

I know it was a pipe dream as a white non stared version would probably sell for more than I had with me.....he quotes...$1600 :tonofbricks: I stare at the coin like I am actually contemplating the purchase even though I was way way short of that amount of cash......thanks I say as I head off to the next table. As I head down the rows quickly....no toners...no toners......ahhhhh what's this....a pretty little common dates NGC toner in MS66......this is about a $600 dollar coin on Ebay I guestimate......how much I ask......he doesn't know hm....his partner doesn't know hm....so being the witty fellow I am I said I guess it's free today..... :grin:

No dice.....finally as the minutes tick away he said....I could do $320 on the coin.....HHHHHMMMMMM a very fair price I thought to myself.....but I am still in the first row....I don;t want to spend a chunk of my cash whitout seeing what else is available :golfclap: Ok on to the next row....nadda......and the next.....nadda (tsk)

Second to the last roll.....what's this....I spy a beautiful pair of End Roll Morgans...... ^^ but there's no dealer doh! I wait for a few minutes....still no dealer so I have to go it's now 5pm and dealers are packing up...rats :censored:

Ok on to the last row......a few Morgans with so so color and strong prices.....nope not going to have any luck...going to get shut out....wait a minute...the dealer returned to the other table....just a few more steps.....I can make it....excuse me sir...how much for the pair of end rollers? $450.......I quickly start doing the math...is it a good deal...are they worth it....I am on the fence but heavily leaning towards getting them as it's not very often you see a nice matched pair like this.....what's your best price......$450 hm Ok haggling is out since he is into the coins for $425...I can respect that....everybody has to make a living....ok Sold! (thumbs u

So as we chat as he is counting the money I tell him I have a soft spot for end rollers....he says oh ya well look at these.......

He pulls out two totally amazing matched pair end rollers in very old PCGS OGH slabs.....probably the version just after the rattlers. The are breath taking so I say....let me guess...not for sale....he just smiled and told me he had own them for like 15+ years :luhv: We say our good buys and I quickly head back over to the last row but as I round the corner...my Ebay goggles are in full effect. I have a rare talent for spotting nice coins with bad images or dark images and it usually pays off big time online but never helped me at a coinshow before today. in the bottom corner of a dealer case I sqaw something that caught my eye....there was no light on the case and the coin was actually hidden under the metal lip of the case to all you could see was a flash of color if you looked just right.

Can I see that coin.....which one....that one in the corner.....ok I'll open the case and you grab it, deal (thumbs u How much......are you sure you want this one.....ummm yes please.....stay calm...stay calm.....ok well....I can do $175 :o

Strategic pause.....................................................yes I think I will take it. You want it for that price he says? You know it's only a 63......yep still want it...you take cash right.....then he says damn I stuck that thing in the corner so it wouldn't sell and then quoted you a price I knew you wouldn't pay lol lol I just looked at him and said to never under estimate what a toned coin lover would pay for an amazing coin. The luster and color combination blows away a battle creek I had and I paid $1000 for it :banana:

ok......now I can relax...time to go...but wait I still have $90 bucks on me......cheap toner...cheap toner....got to find me a cheap toner..........hey I know that guy! How's it going fine...how have you been fine....we exchange about 5 minutes of banter......do you have anything with color......how about this......ok looks cheap enough....how much.....for you.....$40...sold :devil:

Ok now my pants are sagging cause I have the coins in my pockts...I am sweating...who knew buying coins was such hard work.....and I am off to get the baby.

For those of you still with me....let me present the fruits of my labor.....

Tonedcoins075.jpg

Tonedcoins076.jpg

Tonedcoins068.jpg

Tonedcoins070.jpg

Tonedcoins004.jpg

Tonedcoins090.jpg

Tonedcoins096.jpg

Tonedcoins044.jpgTonedcoins047.jpg

Tonedcoins046.jpgTonedcoins043.jpg

:acclaim: :acclaim: :acclaim: :acclaim: