• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philadelphia Mint

8 posts in this topic

I've built some HO scale model buildings and modified one to resemble the photo that started this thread. The model was called "Delta Frat House" or something like that. I took spare parts from other models that I had built. I printed the "1792" and "Ye Olde Mint" on the computer and pasted them on the model. The colors, which assume painted bricks, are what I thought they might have been based on the B&W photo. Only the front of the model resembles the original mint building. The rest of runs back too deep although I did brick up or put bars (once more from an iron fence model) on the first flooor windows.

The building once sat in the middle of my HO train lay out, but since I've got no room to set it up in Florida, most of it is now in a box. I've got that one out as a outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed

That photo appeared in Frank H. Stuwart's history of the first Philadelphia mint. Stuwart bought the property and needed to remove the old mint building from it's original site. He tried to give the building away so that it could moved to a park in Philadelphia. There were no takers so he tore it down. After he had wrecked it he wrote a book on the subject.