• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTC 1991 silver eagle with spots

3 posts in this topic

I think that the spots are part of the character of the coin. But, considering all of the toxic stuff in that WTC dust, it HAS to be corrosive. Should I send it to NCS to stabilize it to keep it from deteriorating? Then there is the issue of it being cracked out of its original holder and how that affects its value and getting it attributed when it is re graded by NCG..

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/Sinohog/?action=view&current=WTCsilverEagle1991O.jpg

It looks like typical milk spotting that occurs on many eagles. With a coin like this, I'm guessing most, if not all, the value above spot is due to the holder. Cracking it will eliminate that.

Yeah, cracking the holder is probably would turn it into a difficult coin to sell at best. I wish they had called NGC instead of PCGS to handle the WTC coins as NGC has so much experience handling sea salvaged coins. There are alot of inconsistencies in the way these were slabbed, with some of them having bar codes and some, like mine without them, some with numeric grades and some with just 'gem' like mine. But I still like my coin, even warts and all because really, it is a statement of defiance to the terrorists. They targeted the WTC as a strike at the financial heart of America and here is this coin that survived in gem state that symbolizes that they failed in their goals.

But I'm concerned that over time the spots, if not conserved are going to turn into carbon spots because of the toxic nature of the dust that caused them.