• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Mint Bicentennial medals does anyone collect these???

4 posts in this topic

Cleaning out another "mystery corner" (I am finally running out of these darned "Mystery corners!!) I found 6 different U.S. Mint medals. Does any one collect these things these days and is there a list somewhere where I can see if there is any value to these "goodies"?

I have:

1974 Bicentennial First Day Cover, John Adams, I'm guessing gold plate,

1972 Bicentennial Commemorative Medal, George Washington, gold plate I assume,

2 1975 Bicentennial Commemorative Medals in silver, Paul Revere/Battle of Lexington and Concord,

1976, The National Bicentennial medal (Gold plate) with statue of Liberty, and...last but not least,

Jimmy Carter Official Inaugural Day Medallic Postal Commemorative, silver 1977

(no Billy beer or peanuts) with 3 first day covers marked Innaguration day on 13 cent stamps, Washington DC, Plains, Ga and Ceylon MN.

Thanks much! RI Al

There's a great deal of this stuff out there and only a few collectors. You can pick up the common ones for less than a dollar and even the scarce ones won't be much more. Incredibly there are a couple neat varieties that have gone unreported. That Statue of Liberty medal, I believe, is the one that sometimes appears with the designer initials upside down.

The US Mint produced a series of Bicentennial medals as part of a series from 1972-1976. The medals were produced in electroplated brass (not gold) that were used in First Day Covers, silver, and gold-plated silver that were available in cases. Sometimes, you can find the brass medals sold separately. They were removed from the FDCs since the Mint did not sell them separately.

The covers are worth about $7-10 depending on the condition. The silver medal can be found for $15-25 and the gold-plated medals $20-30.

As for the Carter medal, I don't know. Even though I was going to school in Georgia, Jimmy Carter was not exactly my favorite president.

Scott :hi: