• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serendipity and coin collecting; a 1959-D Franklin.

13 posts in this topic

I think that one of the most enjoyable experiences of coin collecting is to be looking for a specific coin for a given series and to stumble upon it when you least expect it. I have been trying to put together a toned Franklin set in MS65 or higher for quite a few years. There are 35 coins in the series. Needless to say, it is almost always the case that the last few coins in a given series to collect are the toughest ones to find. For toned Franklins the years 1950 and 1959-63 are the toughest to collect as there were no cardboard/paper Mint Sets for those years. This spring I had 4 coins still to go; 1950-D, 1959-D, 1960-D, and 1961-D, (I currently have 2 to go... not including upgrades etc.).

This spring my daughter had a swim meet at a local pool one saturday morning. It turned out that between 2 of her races there was a large bloc of time. I decided to waste some time by wandering over to a local B&M that I normally avoid because it sells overpriced material, and browse through some of their boxes of coins. After finding a couple fun, fairly reasonably priced coins, on a total whim I asked to see their slabbed material (they mainly have raw coins). When browsing through their totally mixed box of slabbed coins I found not one, not two, but three toned slabbed MS65 1959-D Frankies. Needless to say, I was a VERY happy camper. Here is the one I got. It is an NGC MS65 (pre-FBL designation) in an old fatty holder. Nowadays it would almost certainly FBL at PCGS (see 2nd reverse image), although I think it would still not FBL at NGC. Anyhow, given that it's in an old fatty holder, I have no interest in attempting to cross it. Bob Campbell imaged the coin, and I think he did an excellent job. In any case, it's always fun to find a coin when you aren't planning on looking for a coin on that given day.

Franklin1959D_N65Obv.jpg

Franklin1959D_N65Rev.jpg

Franklin1959D_N65Obv2.jpg

Franklin1959D_N65RevLines.jpg

I like its rich coloration, especially on the reverse. While an unexpected find, you were still prepared to pull the trigger. (thumbs u

Nice coin. I had a few of the Franklins, but decided to concentrate on Morgans.

At the risk of much derision, what the heck does the acronym "FBL" stand for?

Is there a thread for a glossary of acronyms on this board?

Sy, you know of the covenant Star designation. Well you get the covenant YOU SUCK designation! Here's my 59-d, very clean but not the toning I was looking for.

Jon086.jpg

Jon088.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Tom, it was not hard at all to pull the trigger on this baby. It cost me less than $136 (tax included), which IMO for this coin was quite low.

Jason and Jon, I could look to see if the other 2 are still there if you want. BTW, nice clean Frankie Jon. (thumbs u

Jake, FBL stands for Full Bell Line which refers to the bell lines on the reverse of the coin. PCGS looks at the bottom set of lines while NGC looks at both sets of lines.

Diffinitely one of the tougher dates in the series for attractive toning. I think this will go along with your set quite well. Congrats! :applause:

Jake, I won't deride (too much). Okay, maybe I will, but I'll answer the question too:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2426204#Post2426204

That should have everything you need to get a basic idea of the mystery of the FBL.