• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit Morgan?

8 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to post this so here it is. I came across this coin on Ebay today. The Seller touts it as some kind of new undiscovered VAM. What it looks like to me is a patch to fix the crack. The color and devices just look wrong. Good thing is,no bids with 2 hours to go.

63886.jpg.22a86499cc5453fb53010bc9fc7fbb00.jpg

63887.jpg.7ab34990745825c2ec00d59303e085b0.jpg

63888.jpg.15a4750c67268de399108f92261e1198.jpg

Or is this a Chinese fake fresh from Beijing?

I have a feeling we may see a lot of counterfeit coins over the next few weeks... or even months!

Scott :hi:

Pat,

Would you mind expanding on the mint mark and Dollar reference above, I am always interested in learning something new.

Thanks,

Rey

Look at Dollar and the mint mark on the reverse and you will answer your own question

I was 99% sure it was a fake. Probably should have left out the ? in the title. Just thought I'd bring to the boards attention.

Pat,

Would you mind expanding on the mint mark and Dollar reference above, I am always interested in learning something new.

Thanks,

Rey

The mint mark is way to far left and the spacing to Dollar is far to wide..

But if you look at the dentals to the obverse they kind of scream at you as well...

just a bad copy

Pat,

Thanks,

Rey

The mint mark is way to far left and the spacing to Dollar is far to wide..

But if you look at the dentals to the obverse they kind of scream at you as well...

just a bad copy

about the dentals... It looks to me as though there is some bubbling in the dentals which is where (As I understand it) is from air caught in the casting...

There are air bubbles in the stars and in the denticles. The letters don't look right and the feathers in the right wing are off. The cotton bols are off, et cetera. It is a cast fake.