• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Now this is the way to crack out coins!

11 posts in this topic

Thats been floating around for a while. I thought the funniest part about the whole thing was that it is MY dealer who is doing it!

I think James showed us the best crack-out tool. I may be mistaken, but I think he was trying to sell it at the CSNS Show (?) in Chicago. Help me out, here, James! Do you still have the photos?

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In my August column for The Numismatist, I wrote of my experience during a tour of the San Francisco Mint in 1987. The unsold 1982-S proof Washington Halves were being melted there, but they first had to be removed from their plastic capsules. This was accomplished by running the capsules through the upsetting mill, which squeezes blanks to form the raised rim of a press-ready planchet. This squeezing action shattered the plastic and freed the coins. Both were then dumped into their respective hoppers for disposal.