• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many coins are too much!!

33 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, :hi:

I was looking at my collection today and changing my registry sets.

I was wondering how many "graded" coins should be in a set and when are you just hoarding coins.

I have in my collection right now 787 graded coins in the registry and about a handful of ones that are not in the registry.

I really dont have that many duplicates, and if I upgrade I usually sell the lower grade right away.

I was just wondering what other people think.

I have about thirty graded coins and another twelve to fifteen or so that I broke out to put in my 7070. this makes up about 3 percent of my collection. I probably will have another 10 graded within the next year and that should be it unless an eye popper comes along.

Jim

Try multi holders - Cuts volume down heheheh

My Sigline has my volume of coins graded for the registry

I have sold off most of my raw coins ...

I think the only person who can answer that question is YOU.

By that I mean what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

In general, however, I have noticed that as collectors advance they tend to decrease the number of coins they own. Of course there are exceptions to this rule.

Me? I'm still stuck in the hoarding stage, and have a ridiculous number of coins -- slabbed and raw. I'm trying to change, but old habits die hard.

Respectfully...Mike

In general, however, I have noticed that as collectors advance they tend to decrease the number of coins they own. Of course there are exceptions to this rule.

Me? I'm still stuck in the hoarding stage, and have a ridiculous number of coins -- slabbed and raw. I'm trying to change, but old habits die hard.

Respectfully...Mike

hmmm OCD come into play here :)hm

I always have the same answer when I ask myself that question.

"I will have enough when I get just one more"

No matter how many I have, that is always the answer.... :cloud9:

MM

Why does "graded" enter into the question?

I have somewhere between twenty and twenty-two thousand different coins (world by type). And that doesn't include bulk or duplicates. Is that too many?

In general, however, I have noticed that as collectors advance they tend to decrease the number of coins they own.

That's the truth. I think too much becomes a nuisance and a liability. I'm working on reducing my collection down to the essentials that I now collect.

I don't really know if there is such a thing as having too many registered coins. That value judgement is really up to you.

I will say that it's silly to pay good money for cheap coins in slabs UNLESS you are trying to complete a registry set. If the coin is only worth $5 outside the slab, but it costs you $15 or $25 to buy it, it makes no sense to buy it unless you want and can afford to put together a 100% complete registry set or something close to that number. Otherwise isolated, cheap slabbed coins make no sense.

I think "too much" varies quite a bit. I follow the box of 20 concept so too much for me is when I get about 25 coins.

I'll have enough when I have them all.

.....and I'll lease Ft. Knox to you so you can have a place to store all of them. :devil:

Chris

Its a function of secure storage space or table space at a show. The less your carrying the easier it is to travel.

Also, how many coins do you really want to manage and keep track of? Sometimes, I think the fellow who only has only 100 - 200 of the nicest coins he can afford making up the primary investment in his collection / inventory has less stress. A dealer friend told me this is his goal and bullion plus junk can fill any leftover table space as he knows he has way too much of this.

All coins are graded--whether by a TPG or not. You graded it when you bought it. The seller graded it before he sold it. Any friends you show it to grades it.

"How many graded coins should be in a set?" Well, there are 453 unique die marriages in the capped bust half dollar series. I therefore think that 454 would be too many.

Now to answer the question that I assume you were really trying to ask...1 slabbed coin is 1 too many.

Why does "graded" enter into the question?

I have somewhere between twenty and twenty-two thousand different coins (world by type). And that doesn't include bulk or duplicates. Is that too many?

I just put graded because I was really only interested in the graded part.

I also have tons of raw coins but I don't ever think I can have to many.

Who says you have to keep track of all of it? That makes it fun when you discover several years later that you have something really nice that you didn't know you had.

Chris

Respectfully...Mike

hmmm OCD come into play here :)hm

Please don't project your shortcomings on others. :D (I'm joking)

My goal for the next 20 years is simple..500 Sailing ship themed coins/medal/conders/SC$ etc

and as many half dollars as I can get...and a few dozen really cool ones with great artistic designs....

so in answer, about a 1000 should be close to enough........ and too many??? funny question