• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd 2007 Rosie errors

15 posts in this topic

Found this in change last week. Both sides planchett error? In front of the face from forehead to chin and i the center of reverse

07rosie1.jpg

07rosie2-1.jpg

Appears the copper core is showing through.

Usually it's only one side when this happens so this is a bit unique.

A very small premuim can be attached to this lamination type flaw, usually they are more "well defined" as opposed to being blotchy.

Yeah,I thought it was somewhat different from most errors I've seen and I can't remember a two sided error like this.Pretty cool. Think it's worth having slabbed? I wouldn't know what to call it.

I really don't see anything more than a massive strike through grease. This has no premium at all, and should not be slabbed.

I would think that if grease were the culprit, some of it would have filled the devices and made them less defined.

I think it is a satin die that was polished and returned to service for business strikes. If you recall, when they first introduced the satin finish, a lot of business strikes had really lousy looking surfaces. What the Mint was doing was using the satin dies that deteriorated rather quickly for business strikes to prolong their useful life. Many of the business strikes that were produced looked very similar to this.

Value? 10c!

Chris

Ok....I know I can be a dummy sometimes....Chris points that out a lot.. lol

but I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about...I don't see anything beyond a normal dime (shrug)

Ok....I know I can be a dummy sometimes....Chris points that out a lot.. lol

but I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about...I don't see anything beyond a normal dime (shrug)

Your mommy is gonna give you a spanking for telling a fib! :gossip:

Chris

Shane, notice how the area on the obverse from FDR's chin to the "T" in LIBERTY appears to be lighter than the area surrounding IGWT. This is how many business strikes looked when polished satin dies were used to prolong their life. The employees at the Mint didn't care about trying to make them look pretty. They just polished the worst areas on the face of the dies and made them serviceable. Also, you'll notice on the reverse what appears to striations (NW to SE) in the center. This, too, was probably the result of die polishing, but they really didn't care too much how the die would look afterward since it was going to be used for business strikes.

I searched dozens of bags of 2005 States Quarters that looked just like this.

Chris

PS. I won't tell your mommy.

I must now ask the OP...is the copper core exposed in the areas that you previously pointed out?

If not, what type of discoloration am I seeing in the images then?

Not that I disagree with you Chris, curiosity has a grip on me.

Shane, notice how the area on the obverse from FDR's chin to the "T" in LIBERTY appears to be lighter than the area surrounding IGWT. This is how many business strikes looked when polished satin dies were used to prolong their life. The employees at the Mint didn't care about trying to make them look pretty. They just polished the worst areas on the face of the dies and made them serviceable. Also, you'll notice on the reverse what appears to striations (NW to SE) in the center. This, too, was probably the result of die polishing, but they really didn't care too much how the die would look afterward since it was going to be used for business strikes.

Chris

My mom died in January but I know you don't remember and I know your a great guy anyway :(

Chris

My mom died in January but I know you don't remember and I know your a great guy anyway :(

Sorry, Shane! You know how it goes as you get up there in age..............first the sex, then the memory. Just for that, I'll let you buy the first round at FUN 2009.

Chris

Chris

Sorry, Shane! You know how it goes as you get up there in age..............first the sex, then the memory. Just for that, I'll let you buy the first round at FUN 2009.

Chris

Just for that I'll buy first, second, and third.....then I might have a chance at pool :devil:

Meant to get back here sooner. So, no the core doesn't seem to be showing through anywhere. Although I lost my dang triple 5x-10x-15x magnifier. So I can;''t be positive. The weirdness on this dime is more pronounced than the picture shows. I like it. Into my book it goes. I miss my magnifier :luhv: