• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

post office policies

1 post in this topic

PO policies (per my girlfriend, a postal worker):

A business-sized envelope can not be sent insured alone, instead (if one wants it insured) it must be sent via registered mail which can then be insured for an extra charge. Registed mail should be sealed with brown, paper tape only! This allows the date stamp to be applied. All other tape is unacceptable if a pkg is to be sent registered. Registed mail is the preferred method to send valuables. However, if lost, an original receipt must be presented of the insured item in order to be reimbursed for the loss.

To send an article insured alone, it is recommended to send it in a padded envelope larger than business sized. A padded envelope can also be sent via certified mail, however one can not insure a certified letter. (One can not combine another service, i.e. insurance, with certified mail). Certified mail is NOT recommend for valuables.

Express mail is automatically insured up to $100. Additional insurance is also available for an extra charge. An express mail envelope is supplied by the post office. It will usually be delivered w/i 24 hours although it may be up to 48 hours for rural areas.

The first question asked when a pkg is to be sent is:

Are you shipping anything liquid, fragile, perishable or potentially hazardous? One needs to only answer yes or no. It is not necessary to state that coins, etc. are being sent.

Any other questions regarding post office policy can be answered at:

1-800-ASK-USPS