• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1912 D Liberty Head Nickel

6 posts in this topic

Does this coin not look cleaned to you? It does to me, yet it is graded AU58 in a PCGS holder. I know beyond a doubt(at least in my mind) this coin would be BB'd by NGC. JMO.

Your opinions please.

Jim

1912DLibertyHeadNickel.jpg

Yes, it looks cleaned to me, but not so much so that I'm surprised to see it in a PCGS holder. And I wouldn't be any more surprised to see it in an NGC holder.

Yes, it's been cleaned to make it brighter.

Both the 1912-S and the 1912-D nickels were washed in some kind of solution at the mints that caused most if not all of them to tone. Some collectors don't like the look and over the years a lot of these coins have been cleaned. It's one of those examples where you have to learn the lay of the land and accept the fact that you will probably never find an original white coin for these two issues.

Cleaned? Yes. Bodybagg-able? There are so many hideously cleaned coins in all brands of slab that nothing surprises me anymore. And then today, I cataloged nine Indian head cents that were all bodybagged by NGC for the slightest, most inoccuous cleanings imaginable.

So, basically, anything is possible (shrug) ...