• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on saving shotgun state quarter rolls

11 posts in this topic

I saw the thread on keeping the presidential rolls and if the value was expected to increase enough to save them. My question is on keeping the Orange State Quarter rolls from String and Son as a limited investment. Worth it? I know that most of the earlier (1999) rolls are going for above value, but I wonder if having complete sets of all the state rolls will gain significance next year and beyond.

I would not mind selling the ones that have value right now, turn the rest in and invest in some coins that I really want.

Thoughts?

Do what you want. I really don't see a downside, seeing as they will always be worth at least 25 cents. If you pay a premium for them (from the Mint, for example) then that's another story.

Are you taking about quarters that have been run through a coin-counter machine to roll them? If so, I would not buy them!

I am talking about the orange rolls that you can typically buy on ebay. They are mostly the Fed rolls with "String and Son" on the wrapper. IF they are run through coin counters, then I was unaware of it.

I'd hold on to anything for five years or so.

It takes a little while before the market can sort out what was saved in sufficient quantity or not. It won't pay to hold onto everything indefinitely probably because inflation is always eating away the "real" face value. Keep dimes and cents a little longer since these have lower value and can take longer for the market to recognize.

I always go through and pull out the gems and varieties. If there aren't any then just save a few of the nicest examples and spend the rest.

People don't realize it but things like a '97-D nickel roll goes for nearly $50.

I sell the winners as soon as they go up or hang onto them indefinitely. I usually try to buy the winners if I don't have any but it depends on many factors. You won't always guess right.

I'm saving the Mint-wrapped rolls. I have about 300 of them. I'm hoping that I will sustain a back injury while trying to lift them so I can sue the Mint. Otherwise, I'll never recover the purchase price.

Chris

Since there is absolutely no way of knowing what is inside a String and Sons roll without busting it open, as far as I am concerned they are only worth face value or very slightly more. (Might not be a solid date/state roll, might even have older circulated pre-state quarters inside the roll.) And yes the coins n the roll have been run through a coin counter. The same can be said for the Mint wrapped rolls. The "Mint wrapped" rolls are not wrapped by the mint. They are shipped out in the same ballistic bags to a private concern, dmped into the hopper run through the counter and rolled. Only difference between a Strings & Son and a "Mint wrapped" roll is the color of the paper and the fact that the Mint charges a premium for it.

The only good thing is that you KNOW the "Mint wrapped" roll are all Unc and the same state/mint.

Yeah, what Conder101 said. Very sage advice.

The mint-sold rolls do bring a premium on e-bay and are selling well.

As far as the others? Cladking has excellent advice but I'll bet ya than many more people have saved state quarter rolls than the 1997 D nickel.

I've found most of my better state quarters from bank rolls versus the ones that the mint sells. For some unknown reason , the mint must cater to coin collectors for profit , but seems to still hate us and puts real dogs in the mint labelled rolls that I got when they first offered them. A friend of mine got some very very nice quarters in his rolls from the mint , so go figure , it must be just my bad luck to get mine from the mint banged up and fairly clean and nice from the bank wrapped rolls ( paper, not the plastic wrap) .

So , I'm not sure how to answer ....as I've noticed the mint wrappers sell for more money , but yet in a few years , the bank wrapped ones will most likely continue to climb slowly in price to specialty collectors , but I believe most are already hoarding these type rolls. So , It could go either way with the quarters ....I'm not saving anymore of them , but I am getting as many bank wrapped nickels that I can of P & D from each year as they show up at the local bank and from a friend in Texas( D) .

...but I'll bet ya than many more people have saved state quarter rolls than the 1997 D nickel.

Sure.

But there's almost no demand for '97-D nickels. Most people's collections stop at 1964.

There's huge demand for the states coins.

As a long term "investment" states quarters are a poor choice because in the long run there are not going to be millions of collectors. This probably won't last more than a few years and it's very difficult to imagine a world where it would last more than twenty.

In the mean time some of these rolls could go up significantly in price simply because they are very taken for granted. No, there will be none that were simply overlooked but there may well be some of the more recent or current issues that were saved in too little quantity to satisfy demand.

The program is wrapping up now and when people realize we're on the last state all those who figured they'd wait will come pouring into the market. No, I don't mean I'm looking for a big boost in demand that will get these coins "hot" again but there will be some uptick and it will be primarily for the last few years of issue. It's more likely that there will be a leveling off of total demand.

It's hard to predict what affect the new series might have but it is likely to cause some continued demand.

One thing it's almost certain to cause is the realization that they aren't making the old eagle reverse any more. These will represent less than half the quarters in circulation by the end of this year and if there's anything the public loves it's coins that are getting "hard to find".

You may scoff but the old clad quarters are getting pretty thin. It wouldn't be overly surprising to see the FED start removing some of the worst ones. This would quickly have some very interesting effects on what you see in circulation. Some dates would virtually disappear because they are universally worn or because they were made with high rims that are now worn off leaving the coins thin.

Whether they stay in circulation or not the old clad quarters are starting to look mighty ratty.