• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IGWT, can you post more photos?

16 posts in this topic

Seriously, your shield nickels are awesome. I always look forward to you posting some. Should make a shield nickel coffee book. :) Would you mind posting a few more? Your photo skills are top notch.

Good Lord, this is a first! :o Thank you for the compliment, and in return, here are a few . . .

1866S1-3007ObvRev.jpg

1867S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1867S3-0000ObvRev.jpg

1868S1-3021ObvRev.jpg

1868S2-0002ObvRev.jpg

1869S3-0000aObvRev.jpg

1870S1-2003ObvRev.jpg

1871S1-3000ObvRev.jpg

1875S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1876S1-1000ObvRev.jpg

1878S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1879S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1880S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

1881S1-3000ObvRev.jpg

1882S1-0000ObvRev.jpg

Great coins and great photos Lou. I’ve been meaning to ask, do the rays in the 1866 & 1867s represent anything? And if so, what do they represent?

Great coins and great photos Lou. I’ve been meaning to ask, do the rays in the 1866 & 1867s represent anything? And if so, what do they represent?

It was simply the original design, which was changed in '67 for a reason I can't remember. (thumbs u

;)

There are some reference books that refer to the with rays reverse of the 1866/67 shield nickels as the "stars and bars" and claim they this represents sympathy with the Confederacy. I've never come across any documentation that supports that viewpoint, and I consider it hogwash.

The WR reverse was simply the original design as pointed out above. The rays were removed partway through 1867 in an effort to improve the quality of strikes on the shield nickel by reducing the metal flow.

:golfclap:

Wow, those are great! I can't even pick my favorite. You should post your coins up daily that way within two years shield nickels will become the most popular series. You have a good eye, how long did it take you to assemble a collection like that?

The rays were removed partway through 1867 in an effort to improve the quality of strikes on the shield nickel by reducing the metal flow.

Ahhh, that was it! Thanks skippy!

Great coins, Lou, I take back anything bad that I ever said to you on this board (just kidding, of course). I would kill to have your 1879 nickel!

This coin is pedigreed to IGWT. Thanks again, Lou, even though it has been ages since I got the coin from you. (thumbs u

21640348O.jpg21640348R.jpg

Thanks everybody . . . I'm glad to have the opportunity to post a couple coins. In the excitement of someone showing an interest in Shields, I neglected to mention that Mike Printz at Whitlow took the photos of the '78 (which I then placed in my template), although the other pictures are mine.

You have some great photography skills. Your should start your own service, lol. Is the '79 a business strike or proof?

I answered Amazon by PM; but, even though I might be sharing a bit too much information, I decided to post my response here as well, in hopes that it provides something that might help other collectors:

Sorry I missed your question earlier, and it's a good one, because differentiating proofs from business strikes for 1879 can be difficult (and for '80 & '81, too). The low production run of business strikes and the relatively poor quality of proof production can cause some difficulty in distinguishing coins struck from the same dies but made from the two different methods of production. I bought this coin thinking that it's a business strike based on some weakness in the obverse dentilation and decent luster -- as opposed to mirrors -- that coruscates across the fields (which the photo just hints at). Still, I wasn't positive, because I couldn't see the edges of the coin, and I was reluctant to take the risk of cracking it out of the NGC holder.

So, as a double-check, I submitted this coin for cross from NGC to PCGS (I don't play the cross-over game for profit). PCGS -- in my opinion -- is tougher than NGC on proof v. business strikes in cases where the distinction is not clear. I wanted confirmation that the coin is (or isn't) a business strike in a way that didn't place me at risk by cracking the coin to check the diagnostics. PCGS agreed with my initial assessment (as well as NGC's) and returned the coin to me in an MS66 holder.