• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade of this 1821 Bust Half

12 posts in this topic

I would technically call this a 58. But it may be graded MS 62. of course, if luster is a bit short, then maybe its a 55...

Looks like a decent coin nonetheless...

Easily one of my favorite dates. From the standpoint of luster, 1821 is to bust halves as the 1881-S is to Morgan dollars. I'll guess MS-62, but since it's a scan, it could be a point better very easily.

NGC graded this as AU-55. I think it deserves a better grade because it looks as good as a lot of Au-58’s. Maybe the lack of luster did keep it from an AU-58. However as I said before the picture makes the coin look dull. There is a little rub that would keep it under an MS 60 grade. The strike on this coin is outstanding. I have no immediate plans to sell it so I don’t think I will resubmit. I picked this up from Heritage for $ 690 which included buying power. I feel that is a decent price for this great looking Busty.

Yeah, my first thought was 58. It's nicer than the nicest of my two busties, which I'd rate a 53.

I remember seeing this on Heritage. You got a good price on that one. Looks to be original. And properly graded. Congrats!

Bust halves can be tricky to grade because so many were punched on worn dies.

Plus all the different Overton varieties can make it a bigger challenge.

When I buy them I try to get the ones that don’t have any major soft spots.

This Bust had a pre auction Bid of $ 550 , I was the only bidder the day of the auction and won the coin with a bid of $ 600.

Your photos make the coin seem to have much nicer surfaces than the Heritage photos, which is not a surprise, BTW. It must be a nice coin in hand.

Easily one of my favorite dates. From the standpoint of luster, 1821 is to bust halves as the 1881-S is to Morgan dollars. I'll guess MS-62, but since it's a scan, it could be a point better very easily.

AU-55????

DANG! I'm a lousy grader!

In that case, I'd recommend holding onto that coin for dear life - it's TRULY premium quality for that grade!

This coin in hand does look better then my photos. I was very happy when I received it.

As for Heritage, sometimes the coins look better in the photos and other times not.

I have been happy with the coins I have purchased from them .

I have no intentions of selling this coin anytime soon. Some I buy to re sell some to keep !!