• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peeve: Off color pictures

10 posts in this topic

I guess this qualifies a tangent?

Does anyone here buy coins on Ebay? what do you all think of some of the "larger" sellers who use all kinds of colors and other weird photo tricks? There's at least two that really bug me. One of them always uses green. I've never bought from them,because it seems using that kind of stuff covers up problem coins. So,how come they are so successful?

If you are talking about photo manipulations or juicing images......quite a few sellers go way overboard and use very deceptive images to sell. While it's very difficult to make an image look just like the coin in hand......some or their images make the coins look radioactive and I have been very vocal about this type of shady selling in the past. :censored:

Is that what you are referring too?

some sellers have coins so vibrant that the colors remind me of a peacock ;)
Are you saying that the peacock juices and manipulates his photos...

That would be the first time I have heard this..

Do you have any proof or are you attempting humor..

prudden----- I've bought Walking Liberty Half Dollars for just about 10 years now on Ebay. In that time, I have bought between 200-300 Walkers that I have kept out of perhaps looking at over 2 million half dollars.

The major sellers are mostly NOT to be trusted. They will do ANYTHING to sell their product---including, but not only, altering their pictures in some way. In the end, you simply MUST know the series of coins that you are collecting. Then, and only then, can you wade through the mine fields and obtain the "very" small percentage of "great" coins that are placed on Ebay.

Patience is a wonderful virtue---especially when it comes to enjoying the hunt while waiting for the coins that you need and want. While using your patience, you will find that your eye picks up the altered pictures better---and becomes aware, by name, of the vast majority of "not so good" sellers. You will actually become sooooo good---that you can look at the written listings and, without opening it up, you will know who the seller is----and pass by his listings. You will also get very good at grading so that when the small picture comes up, you will know whether to look at the coin or just pass it on by.

As to varied colors of the pictures, I have a pretty much rule of thumb. If that picture doesn't represent what the coin ought to look like---if that color is soooo off as to be offensive to my eyesight---then I am gone as fast as my computer will take me away from that listing. Simple as that. Bob [supertooth]

It was meant as a joke, but IMO there is definitely some color adjustments being done from time to time. I don't mind as I do the same thing in order to make the photo represent the actual appearance of the coin. I believe that is the intent in his case, but I think he falls short from time to time. Just my opinion, and certainly not meant offensively, as I am a customer.

BTW, there are at least two peacocks on E-Bay.

It was meant as a joke, but IMO there is definitely some color adjustments being done from time to time. I don't mind as I do the same thing in order to make the photo represent the actual appearance of the coin. I believe that is the intent in his case, but I think he falls short from time to time. Just my opinion, and certainly not meant offensively, as I am a customer.

BTW, there are at least two peacocks on E-Bay.

Lehigh96, Thank you for your kind words, they're appreciated. I'm also grateful to have you as a customer on eBay.

To answer a couple of your questions. Both peacockcoins and peacockcoinz are run by me. The first generally sells more expensive items and those listings where I no longer accept Paypal. The second is for somewhat less expensive coins and I do accept Paypal as a form of payment.

Secondly, I do adjust with "Photoshop" my pictures for the reasons you've stated. If I have overdone it in my attempt to 'show off' the coin than that is on me and I'll take the fault.

On a pleasant note, I did receive notification from eBay a couple of days ago I was awarded the 20% discount on my fees for maintaining a DSR of 4.9 in each catagory (4.92; 4.97; 4.94, and 5.0 respectively) over the last 30 days.

I'm also attempting to improve my business model and take all emails/PM's I get seriously. I'd love to hear from you with a more detailed explanation of the above, if you care to.

I think, with 100% feedback I'm on the right track. Especially now where buyers are a bit more free to express themselves in the form of feedback what with eBay's feedback changes.

Again, I'm always open for positive ideas for improvement and would love to hear from you or anyone. If you're not comfortable leaving a PM here on this forum, here's my email:

braddick@peacockcoins.com

PS: I love your sig line! I used to own three of those coins myself and that green Roosevelt (purchased from MadMarty ATS) is one I've always regretted letting go!

I just took these pics of the same coin. The only post manipulation I used was auto enhance and tone adjustment. Still, lighting and oh so many factors affect the final product.

61375-1942PCGS-PR66-TypeI-Obverse.jpg.670322c163f7029065a52caf3e9c2e72.jpg

61376-1942PCGS-PR66-TypeI-Obverse1.jpg.59994bba916be668e6cea4e15f1588f4.jpg

61377-1942PCGS-PR66-TypeI-Reverse.jpg.9fc1733ce519113f47487c0d01a84ef8.jpg

61378-1942PCGS-PR66-TypeI-Reverse1.jpg.a2c69bbca9f001aaaeb5f8c8e9e7a276.jpg

Quote: " The major sellers are mostly NOT to be trusted. They will do ANYTHING to sell their product---including, but not only, altering their pictures in some way. In the end, you simply MUST know the series of coins that you are collecting. Then, and only then, can you wade through the mine fields and obtain the "very" small percentage of "great" coins that are placed on Ebay.

Patience is a wonderful virtue---especially when it comes to enjoying the hunt while waiting for the coins that you need and want. While using your patience, you will find that your eye picks up the altered pictures better---and becomes aware, by name, of the vast majority of "not so good" sellers. You will actually become sooooo good---that you can look at the written listings and, without opening it up, you will know who the seller is----and pass by his listings. You will also get very good at grading so that when the small picture comes up, you will know whether to look at the coin or just pass it on by." End Quote:

As to varied colors of the pictures, I have a pretty much rule of thumb. If that picture doesn't represent what the coin ought to look like---if that color is soooo off as to be offensive to my eyesight---then I am gone as fast as my computer will take me away from that listing. Simple as that. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks,this is very good advice. I also look over hundreds of coins and put maybe 10 in my "Watch this item". Most of them I will only bid a lowball bid. I just hate those Green, Red and very dark coins that are really silver. Out of focus is a problem but most people don't have a good camera.

Since I can't seem to take anything but crappy photos of my coins with my cameras I never complain about the photos of sellers on ebay.

It seems that some people think that only people that can devote the time, effort and skill set to take great photos should be allowed to sell on eBay. Excuse Me!