• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the scoop on the NASA JPL commems?

9 posts in this topic

There was an article in the latest "Coin World" but it gave no definitive dates when and if it will be released. Anyone know what's up? Scott B?

As a modern commem collector, I'm psyched over this set. I sure hope that it lives up to my expectations.

Interesting note: The 1 oz gold coin will only be sold with a complete set of the 9 silver coins featuring each planet in our solar system.

Also interesting to me is that Pluto in no longer designated as a "planet". 2006 saw it designated as a "dwarf planet".

Personally, I'd rather see them produce coins to commemorate the astronauts who have given their lives for the space program.

Chris

Personally, I'd rather see them produce coins to commemorate the astronauts who have given their lives for the space program.

Chris

That, unfortunately, is a long list. I wouldn't mind seeing this one, though.

And reinstate Pluto!

Scott actually had an article on this in his coin blog. The legislation, according to his blog, passed the House but only a committee in the Senate, and the two versions have some differences. (I could have those two mixed up.)

If this actually becomes law, basically, there would be 10 coins. 1 1-oz gold would be the Sun, and 9 1-oz coins that would be the 8 planets plus Pluto.

The gold coin's obverse, as I said, would be the Sun, while the reverse would have a "design emblematic of the sacrifice of the US astronauts who lost their lives in the line of duty over the course of the space program."

The silver coins don't specify anything for the obverse except they be the 8 planets plus Pluto. The reverse should have stuff showing contributions of research and space centers, but also specifies: The Earth coin says that it will have Earth but also have stuff that honors the discoveries NASA and its associated missions have made. Jupiter has to have a "scientifically accurate" picture of Europa along with past and future mission. Same with Saturn but with the moon Titan. Pluto and dwarf planets coin should have something showing telescope exploration of deep space by NASA and the search for Earth-like planets.

I think this is going to make for very crowded reverses.

The coins are only to be minted as proof, and they'll be dated 2008 but be issued through 2009 (at least for 1 full year).

The gold coin must be issued as part of a complete set with 1 of each of the planet coins.

And it specifies that the presentation should be in a nice case with the gold coin in the center and the 9 other coins in elliptical orbits, which I think will either look really squashed or necessitate a huge case. There's also supposed to be a plaque with names and dates of spacecraft missions where US astronauts died, along with their names.

My guesstimate, taking into account current Mint prices and surcharges, is that the set will cost in the neighborhood of $1650.

Yeah, with that much bling, this isn't going to be a cheap set. Do they still have plans to include (infinitesimal) amounts of bullion that had actually flown in space in the alloy?

Do they still have plans to include (infinitesimal) amounts of bullion that had actually flown in space in the alloy?

Scott mentioned on his blog (see, Scott? Someone actually does read your blog :) ) that this was in previous versions of the bills, but not in the current ones. I didn't see it mentioned in either of the current versions.

Personally, I'm glad that this has been omitted. I think it would be a shame if the national museums/archives/etc. had to turn over parts of spacecraft to be put into coins. Though, as a numismatist, I think that would be awesome. I wonder if this is how multiple personality disorder gets started ...

Scott mentioned on his blog (see, Scott? Someone actually does read your blog :) ) that this was in previous versions of the bills, but not in the current ones. I didn't see it mentioned in either of the current versions.

Thank you for reading!! (thumbs u

The posting can be found here.

The Senate version is different from the House version in many ways. One was using the metals that flew into space as part of the bullion. The Mint convinced the senate that this would make the coins more expensive and difficult to make enough to fill the potential demand.

Other differences include some design specifications and tying the production to one mint.

The senate version also recognizes that 2008 is the 50th anniversary. So if the bill passes the house, it is written to allow the Mint to sell these are 2008 commemoratives through 2009 and not have it count against the maximum two commem types in 2009. However, as far as I can tell, the only commemorative that has been made law for 2009 is the Abraham Lincoln 200th Birthday commem.

BTW: Read my blog... I have fun writing it, it's fun to know people are reading!

Scott :hi: