• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I remove green corrosion from coins?

4 posts in this topic

I have some Unc. jefferson war nickels with green corrosion forming on them. Is there a way to remove this or help stop it from spreading? (shrug)

Remove them from their PVC holders immediately, would be my first suggestion. Then give them a bath in acetone to remove the green slime. Then throw away all your PVC. Do it NOW! Only after you've done that should you return to this thread and finish reading everyone else's responses.

I purchased the set in capital plastics for a great price. Then when I received I knew why I got it for a good deal. Some had the corrosion but not all.

THanks

If they are in Capitol plastics, then you don't need to worry about them having PVC - capitols are inert. There might be PVC already on them though, give them a bath. Worst case is they got dunked in acetone, best case is that it was actually PVC and you cured the problem.