• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossover Results Are In

16 posts in this topic

Sent in under the Regular Service Level

Order #20206233 / Submission #9092262

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade

1 1 11458108 3312 1912 1C US Altered Surfaces

DSCN6220B.jpg

2 1 11458109 2564 1925-S 1C US MS63BN

25SlincolnobvA.jpg

DSCN5457A.jpg

3 1 11458110 2568 1926 1C US DNC

DSCN6047A.jpg

DSCN6026A.jpg

4 1 11458111 9299 1935 50C Connecticut US Enviromental Damage

DSCN6062A.jpg

DSCN6056A.jpg

5 1 11458112 9316 1946 50C Iowa US MS67

DSCN6136A.jpg

DSCN6128A.jpg

Total Items: 5

Date Received: 6/16/2008

Did they crack them or did you?

Do you agree with what PCGS saw.

What are you going to do now?

The Iowa is a REAL smokin coin....

Lee,

Sorry to hear of your poor crossover performance.

An AT blue MPL...Who would'a thunk it? ;)

Are you a dealer now? (i.e. why would you cross these coins in the first place?)

Respectfully...Mike

That ED on the CT. is BS.

It's hard to tell from just pics but Lee's looks a lot like mine...

c23261580.jpg

Based on the images, I would have to disagree, Richard - I see no particularly dark areas of toning that might have etched into the surfaces on yours. In the case of Lee's coin, that at least appears to be a possibility.

The above notwithstanding, I have seen numerous coins in PCGS holders which appeared to be just as "ED" looking as Lee's coin is. ;)

The toning looks rather heavy, and they probably couldnt see through it to guarantee the coin was really a 64. If I had to guess, I think NGC could lighten that toning if the coin went back to them (whether you requested it or not). The coin may have toned more since it was graded.

That ED on the CT. is BS.

It's hard to tell from just pics but Lee's looks a lot like mine...

c23261580.jpg

Based on the images, I would have to disagree, Richard - I see no particularly dark areas of toning that might have etched into the surfaces on yours. In the case of Lee's coin, that at least appears to be a possibility.

The above notwithstanding, I have seen numerous coins in PCGS holders which appeared to be just as "ED" looking as Lee's coin is. ;)

Hmmm.... It's not like I can really call your experience, knowledge and qualifications into question so.... I stand corrected. I still like Lees too though ;)

I appreciate everyones thoughts and comments so far!! :)

Did they crack them or did you?

Do you agree with what PCGS saw.

What are you going to do now?

The Iowa is a REAL smokin coin....

I sent them in the holder and left the min grade blank. So cross at same or better.

I thought all would cross except the 1912 MPL. I didn't think PCGS would like it. It's got fantastic lustre and nice color but some may say MS70? PCGS may think the 26 Lincoln is a BN coin and not RB? It is hammered so should get a 65 grade. I don't understand the ED on the Conn. I've heard that coins in the old holders continued to tone.

Continue to enjoy them!! :)

Thanks for the compliment on the Iowa.

Lee,

An AT blue MPL...Who would'a thunk it?

Are you a dealer now? (i.e. why would you cross these coins in the first place?)

Respectfully...Mike

I agree these are not my best results to date.

I respect your opinion on the coin being AT. Only a previous owner knows for sure though. ;)

You really hurt my feelings about me being a dealer. After all these years, you throw that out at me. So folks who cross coins have to be dealers? I buy nice NGC coins that I feel will cross to be used in my Registry Set's ATS. I don't buy NGC coins just to cross them either. It just depends on the coin and what's going on at the time I'm ready to submit. I only submit a couple times a year.

Oh bye the way, just busting your chop's about the dealer thing. :) I'm just a lowly collector who sells coins on occasion.

The term ED always confused me. As I understand it ALL toning is ED. So only ugly toning are ED?
Some would agree that, in a sense, all toning is environmental damage, while others would not. Either way, at a certain point, in a number of cases the (dark) toning etches into the surface of the coin and that is often what is referred to as (a type of) environmental damage. Here is one definition of environmental damage that i found: " Corrosion-effect seen on a coin that has been exposed to the elements. This may be minor, such as toning that is nearly black, to major - a coin found in the ground or water which has severely pitted surfaces."

Lee,

a terrible AT job on the matte proof lincoln that has started to turn in the holder

i also grade this coin butt ugly :sick:

I don't understand what the PCGS graders were thinking on the 26-P Lincoln. I guess your expalnation of not enough red may be the best. The coin is very, very, very nice!

I would like to hear Mark's comments on the coin since I think grading copper is difficult.

Lee,

a terrible AT job on the matte proof lincoln that has started to turn in the holder

i also grade this coin butt ugly :sick:

(tsk)