• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dollars

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a spare copy of Bill Bugert and Randy Wiley's "The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dollars"? I have been trying to find one for some time now. If so just PM me and I'll get right back to you.

Jim

Copies have been very hard to find for a few years now.

If no one answers you here, your best bet may be numismatic book auctions.

If you don't follow them, subscribe to the free weekly e-mail, the E-Sylum, which will keep you posted on upcoming auctions.

Edited to add: Dont forget the numismatic booksellers, like Charlie Davis, John Burns, etc.

When you do find one, don't be too surprised if the cost turns out to be something like $200. I think the last copy I saw was $140.

Thanks Dave, but I've tried those and many, many more. Is there another reference book that covers the Liberty Seated Half Dollar series?

Thanks

Jim

The only other book I can think of that has info about Liberty Seated halves is Breen's Encyclopedia (now also hard to find and expensive).

At one point, Whitman had a book on Liberty Seated silver coins listed as part of its "Guide Book of" series, but I don't think it has been published yet.

I only see a copy of W-B come up for sale in auctions once or twice a year, so it may take you a while to get one.

Edited to add: By the way, I was just reading the half dollar threads over on Gerry Fortin's website. Bill Bugert posted that he's working on an updated edition, but "it's a tedious process" (so I don't think we'll see a new edition in the near future). It's possible that the new edition will be a website (like Gerry's dime site), but Bill didn't confirm that supposition.

John,

So the negotiations with the authors was finally approved? I understood as of 10 days ago they had not been finalized yet. This is great news. I look forward to being able to access this information.

Thanks for the information.

Jim

That will be great, then of course there will need to be an update of the book. (The book does not list all of the varieties, or even come close to it. For example the 1861-O it lists four varieties, today they list fourteen.)