• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photoshop Coin Tip

7 posts in this topic

If [font:Comic Sans MS]you're anything like me, sometimes to capture the coin's true color with photography, I must angle the coin into the light. It seemed that no matter how I angle my two OTT lights, they just wouldn't set off the color scheme. Hence, the angled shots.

By angling the coin, its true dimensions are distorted to make it look oval or oblong. I discovered (although there is nothing new under the sun, it was just novel to me) that I can square the coin's pic up again with post data manipulation with my Canon photoshop software[/font].

I first square the image down so that each edge of the coin touches the edge. I then go to the feature where I can manipulate the image's size.

I look at the maximum dimension (or use one of my own).

I then turn the auto proportions feature off and manually type in the same H x L in pixel length.

This results in a perfectly square image. It will still show some distortions but if it is not too drastic then it makes it look pretty cool with the play on shadows.

Here is a pic of a SBA that I took at an angle and reconfigured so:

249645-018O.jpg249645-018R.jpg

Here's another pic that I "squared" away.

NOTE that some monitors will distort the image and not show the coin square.

1310334-004O.jpg

That is a nice looking photo of the 21. Looks good for an angled shot.

Doogy gets the credit. I tried imaging it under OTT lights and the pics were terrible. :(

That is a nice looking photo of the 21. Looks good for an angled shot.

Doogy gets the credit. I tried imaging it under OTT lights and the pics were terrible. :(

I know exactly what you mean. The Pics I took of my 21 were / are terrible as well.

You gotta be kidding, Bruce. The images you show are gorgeous. You didn't take them?

You gotta be kidding, Bruce. The images you show are gorgeous. You didn't take them?

I took those but personally I think they are horrid as it relates to the coin in real life. luster is totally shot on my images, which in real life it has.