• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchased A Pleasing, Original Choice VF 1921 SLQ This Week

13 posts in this topic

The SLQ coinage is quite beautiful, but I do not collect it by date and mintmark. Rather, I attempt to purchase coins that have some outstanding quality in them that appeals to me. This has led me to become a general type collector and also a person who simply buys coins that are cool. Oftentimes, I know in advance that I will eventually purchase a specific coin; while at other times something seemingly appears from nowhere to grab my attention.

At one time I had owned a fair number of certified, MS SLQs and all of these coins were essentially untoned. As my collecting interests changed these pieces were liquidated such that today I own no certified examples from this series nor are any MS examples in my collection, even though I am actively working on a complete US type set. However, a small handful of original survivors have managed to find and take up residence in my collection.

Earlier this week, another survivor entered my home and was given refuge. This piece is a 1921 with even, attractive grey-brown surfaces, moderate wear and a sufficiently adequate strike that allowed all four digits in the date to remain easily visible even after this level of circulation. Those of you who collect SLQs will immediately realize that the type II coins (1917-1924) have a raised date that appears to be on a pedestal and that wore quite quickly relative to the remainder of the design. Additionally, the coinage of 1921 was not uniformly well struck. In the third edition of his work, JH Cline hypothesizes that the quarter hub was worked on in 1921 so that some coins have a decent strike throughout while the majority have weak dates. I don’t know if this theory has been proven, but perhaps our own RWB might have original source material.

A few years ago I owned a F12 example of this date with a terrific strike and original surfaces, which I foolishly sold. Since then, I have been on the lookout for a similar piece in slightly higher grade and with good, original surfaces. That coin was found earlier this week while visiting a local coin shop. Immediately upon entering the shop I noticed the coin, asked to see it and purchased it. Thankfully, I know the owners very well and had to pay only Greysheet money for the coin. The coin is below and was imaged in direct, slightly overcast sunlight. It is a slight bit more deeply grey and has no gloss at all in-hand. In my opinion, the coin is a terrific, Ch VF.

H1921VF35.jpg

Great minds think alike.

I have been liquidating all of my so, so coins and have been only buying coins with character such as this. I enjoy my collection much more now.

Congrats.

I like this coin a lot. One thing I was quickly taken by was the mark on the reverse next to OF. Still a killer coin I would not mind owning at all!

I attempt to purchase coins that have some outstanding quality in them that appeals to me. This has led me to become a general type collector and also a person who simply buys coins that are cool. Oftentimes, I know in advance that I will eventually purchase a specific coin; while at other times something seemingly appears from nowhere to grab my attention.

Don't you find that those are the coins you enjoy the most over the long haul? I have found that buying coins focused on the attributed grade rather than on overall eye-appeal doesn't lead to collecting happiness. Your approach appeals to me the most. While I have certainly seem higher graded coins, your 1796 quarter in VG, for example, stands out as an excellent piece.

Another funny thing about collecting this way is that oddball pieces end up in our collections that are simply "cool". They may be inexpensive and plentiful in most grades, but having that one coin with great strike, luster, toning, etc. that make for great eye-appeal brings a smile to my face.

(thumbs u

Additionally, the coinage of 1921 was not uniformly well struck. In the third edition of his work, JH Cline hypothesizes that the quarter hub was worked on in 1921 so that some coins have a decent strike throughout while the majority have weak dates. I don’t know if this theory has been proven, but perhaps our own RWB might have original source material.

Producing nice looking Type-II SL quarters was a constant struggle for the mint. There are scattered complaints from mint officials about it not striking well and in 1931 this is one of the reasons given for replacing it with the Washington design.

I rather doubt George Morgan made entirely new hubs for 1921; however, he seems to have done minor touchups when hubs were made for each following year. Morgan was the only engraver from 1917 through 1923, although John Sinnock popped in and out in 1918.

PS: If the mint had stuck with the Morgan/Barber version (1917 Ty-I) the long-term story might have been different.

Attractive looking coin, Tom! (thumbs u I particularly liked the "personal journey" info that you gave as to your collecting evolution in the series.