• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is DPL the same as DMPL?

10 posts in this topic

Sorry if the answer to my questions is somwhere else. I did try a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

Anyway I have a Morgan Dollar here in an old generation 4 (fatty, no barcode) NGC holder that shows a grade of MS 62 DPL. I was guessing it means Deep Proof Like. Is that right? Maybe it means Deep Mirror Proof Like?

The coin itself does look like a strong 62, maybe 63. The devices are frosty. The fields are slightly reflective in that I can see objects reflected in them like a poor quality mirror. However there is obvious cartwheel luster. Personally I wouldn't grade the coin DMPL but I would give it a PL.

So, does anybody know what DPL was supposed to mean?

NGC = DPL = DMPL = PCGS

But that would elude to the fact that NGC = PCGS? I don't even want to start that argument!

Why would you think that it might start an argument? You'd be flat out wrong with no defense! lol

Chris

<

Old no-line holders use that nomenclature.>>

Thanks for the confirmation. I never doubted Mark's word for even a microsecond though.

I would not have had to ask if I felt the coin really was DMPL. However the fields on this coin are not deeply mirrored IMO. But then again I was never a professional grader... Anyway I asked because I didn't know if there was some other meaning I didn't know about.

Hi Carl,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier to this, but I ASSUMED that everyone would have gotten the right answer. DPL is NOT the same as DMPL. Yes, it works that way in the Registry, but DMPL fields have to be deeper... I can't remember the exact distance they have to be, but they are THEORETICALLY deeper than the mirrors for DPL.

Hi Carl,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier to this, but I ASSUMED that everyone would have gotten the right answer. DPL is NOT the same as DMPL. Yes, it works that way in the Registry, but DMPL fields have to be deeper... I can't remember the exact distance they have to be, but they are THEORETICALLY deeper than the mirrors for DPL.

I think you are thinking of the ULTRA DMPL designation, which neither of the grading services use (ANACS will use it, and NGC will give such a coin a STAR & DPL designation). DMPL and DPL are PCGS and NGC's terms for the exact same level of prooflike surfaces. The two services always like to be different if they can, and NGC simply dropped the reduntant "Mirror" from the phraise Deep Mirror Prooflike (DMPL) and called it Deep Prooflike (DPL).

Inconsistency is the nature of the game however, and for the record, NGC is very tough these days an all prooflike designations. Many PCGS DMPLs will not make NGC DPL under current standards.

Is DPL the same as DMPL?
Yes.

(thumbs u

in reality the deep mirror prooflike dplM ngc holdered coins many, MANY miss the mark