• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would NCS slab this 1823/2 Coronet Head Cent?

7 posts in this topic

Howdy fellow coin peeps, :)

I have a friend who has questioned whether or not NCS would slab his coin, since its wreath is pretty scratched up and I think NCS would. So I figured I'd post it here to find out for sure. :)

18232obvzf1.jpg

18232revxj6.jpg

Ribbit :)

Thankies Mikey! :D

Ribbit :)

Ps: There are many peeps that think ANACS is the only TPG that will slab coins with problems. doh!

Hi Toad. I'm thinking ANACS will net grade a problem coin and show that on the holder but NCS will not show any grade. This may have changed but that's how it used to be.

It's always a shoot when it comes to sending half cents and large cents in for grading, but I'd go for an NGC slab first. I think the coin has a shot at making it into an NGC holder. If it gets into an NGC holder, the coin will be worth a good deal more and will be more saleable. NCS holders represent a certification of last resort for me. Many collectors, and I am among them, don't even look at coins in NCS holders. The only time that I would ever consider breaking that rule would be if I were looking for a low grade, damaged rare date, like a 1799 large cent. Even then I would be more likely to do without the coin rather than buy a damaged piece.