• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my coin from apmex...

35 posts in this topic

It's a 1901 S. I was hoping for a coin from the 1800's but I guess this is close enough. At first I was thinking of exchanging it for one that they have from the 1800s, but I'm not sure if they'll do that and I'm satisfied with the coin I have. Does the coin look solid for the grade?

Also, something I noticed on coinfacts.com on the footnote of this year, it says:

"Found with the final 1 of the date over a faint 0." What does this mean?

Here are some pictures of it.

1901S5LibertyReverseBEST.jpg

1901S5LibertyObverseBest2.jpg

1901S5LibertyObverseBEST1.jpg

Tell me what you guys think! :)

Kevin, it looks like an MS62 to me.

"Found with the final 1 of the date over a faint 0." means that there are a number of 1901/0 S over-date examples for that year.

"Found with the final 1 of the date over a faint 0." means that there are a number of 1901/0 S over-date examples for that year.

Mark, I know its a common coin, but people told me in my other thread that I would most likely get a dog of a coin that was rejected and no one wanted, and that I would probably end up returning it.

Is this coin a keeper?

Kevin,

Only you can make that decision. If you want a coin from the 1800s, return it and find another. I use www.gainesvillecoins.com frequently for gold coins, and they have a stash of $5 Libs. You could likely find a MS62 $5 Lib from the 1800s for near what you paid for the 1901S.

Mark, I know its a common coin, but people told me in my other thread that I would most likely get a dog of a coin that was rejected and no one wanted, and that I would probably end up returning it.

Is this coin a keeper?

Kevin, as I noted in my previous post, it looks like an accurately grade coin to me. Hopefully, you weren't expecting an under-graded one. Only you can determine whether it's a "keeper" or not, but it appears that you got what you ordered.

I can't answer your questions but I have a semi-related one for ya - is the price you paid reasonable for the coin? I was just looking through their stock and I found two coins (1976 S Type I clad and 1976 S silver Ikes) that they're selling for just a few $ over auction prices at Heritage ... but all their other Ikes are selling for like double, which makes me a tad hesitant.

This coin seems to have nice eye appeal for the grade, so I would keep it, personally. If they don't typically send choice coins, you got lucky.

Thank you, I agree! Plus, why do I need one from the 1800's? I just thought it would be nice psychologically to have one from this time period. I do have foreign gold coins from the 1800's anyways, just not any US ones. And 1901 is darn close, I think its a keeper and I want to keep it.

Plus I don't want to lose money on their restocking fee.

Thank you, I agree! Plus, why do I need one from the 1800's? I just thought it would be nice psychologically to have one from this time period. I do have foreign gold coins from the 1800's anyways, just not any US ones. And 1901 is darn close, I think its a keeper and I want to keep it.

Then why on earth did you start this thread? :P Stinky, you have a brain. You have your own opinions. Please start assigning some value to those instead of always seeking the approval of others.

Then why on earth did you start this thread? :P Stinky, you have a brain. You have your own opinions. Please start assigning some value to those instead of always seeking the approval of others.

Sorry. I wanted to show people my new coin. Whenever I get a new gold coin I like to post it, because I like gold coins. :sorry:

Sorry. I wanted to show people my new coin. Whenever I get a new gold coin I like to post it, because I like gold coins. :sorry:

That's bad bull and I think you know it. If you want to show off your new gold coin you start a thread like "Check out this cool new coin I just got." Your initial post expresses clear uncertainly about the coin (I can practically hear you mumbling through it while wringing your hands together and looking at the floor) and then you blatantly contradicted yourself and expressed complete happiness the moment some else told you the coin was ok. Right. What, are you OCD?

That's bad bull and I think you know it. If you want to show off your new gold coin you start a thread like "Check out this cool new coin I just got." Your initial post expresses clear uncertainly about the coin (I can practically hear you mumbling through it while wringing your hands together and looking at the floor) and then you blatantly contradicted yourself and expressed complete happiness the moment some else told you the coin was ok. Right. What, are you OCD?

Feeling a little arguementative tonight?

Yeah. I get this way sometimes.

Perhaps he was, and he could have said what he did in a much nicer way (I think the part about OCD, in particular, was out of line), but I mostly agree with what he wrote.

Kevin, take a deep breath and stop hyperventilating. A MS62, 1901-S over-date is worth more than a generic, MS62, half eagle. You probably got a good deal because the over-date is not marked on the slab. It actually is worth $250. more as an over-date if it truly is the 1901/0-S.

Kevin, take a deep breath and stop hyperventilating. A MS62, 1901-S over-date is worth more than a generic, MS62, half eagle. You probably got a good deal because the over-date is not marked on the slab. It actually is worth $250. more as an over-date if it truly is the 1901/0-S.
I've seen nothing in this thread to indicate that the coin is an over-date.

The coin works for me at MS62. From the pictures it looks attractive without major distracting marks. I like it.

Kevin, as I noted in my previous post, it looks like an accurately grade coin to me. Hopefully, you weren't expecting an under-graded one. Only you can determine whether it's a "keeper" or not, but it appears that you got what you ordered.

(thumbs u

I do have OCD. Now I'm torn on what to do..maybe I should get an exchange

Kevin,

Clearly, you can't choose dates from APMEX. They state that the dates will be their choice. If you really want a coin from the 1800s, do as I said. Return this coin for a refund, and buy one where you know exactly what you're getting.

Kevin, it appears that the majority of your coin transactions result in stress to you and that they don't bring you enjoyment. Not that you asked, but I'd suggest that you either stop buying coins altogether or buy ones that you won't worry about and can enjoy - for example lower value (non-gold) coins. In this particular case, I'd just return it, take your lumps on the restocking fee and move on. But don't spend the money elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

You paid $342 for the coin, which is approximately a 50% premium to the gold content, but if you send it back to APMEX you will be out the $22 shipping to get the coin plus your shipping to APMEX (perhaps $8) plus any market loss fee charged by APMEX (about $5 in this case) for a total of $35 expenses for nothing. This represents 10% of your initial purchase price. Additionally, if you paid by credit card you will be hit with another 5% fee for $17.10 and a new total of $52.10 in expenses for nothing. This represents 15% of your initial purchase price. Do what you want, but I have the feeling that you are one of those folks who isn't happy until he is miserable.

23_33_7-1.gifKevin, misery does not like company, contrary to your belief. ;)foghorn_feathers.gif I have trouble making my mind up on a lot of things. Pulling the trigger on a coin is not one of them. (thumbs u

23_33_7-1.gifKevin, misery does not like company, contrary to your belief. ;)foghorn_feathers.gif I have trouble making my mind up on a lot of things. Pulling the trigger on a coin is not one of them. (thumbs u

Rrantique, I've always enjoyed your posts. :grin:

I don't know what to do guys. I like the coin, it looks nice, but I want one from the 1800s. I'd rather not lose the money on returning it, but I think I would be happier with an earlier one.

I don't know what to do guys. I like the coin, it looks nice, but I want one from the 1800s. I'd rather not lose the money on returning it, but I think I would be happier with an earlier one.

What about keeping it, trying to enjoy it and seeing if you can trade it for an earlier date to a dealer or collector in the future?

Seems to me a lot of the same-old that you used to do on the pcgs boards....

Anyway, if you REALLY want one dated 1800....find a similarly priced date, or multiple, use the BST here, and be prepared to maybe add some extra cash if the other is a tad more.

If you always have to ask, or 2nd guess yourself, then do what Mark says....step back and stop for awhile.

What about keeping it, trying to enjoy it and seeing if you can trade it for an earlier date to a dealer or collector in the future?

Actually mark, that's a very good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks

Seems to me a lot of the same-old that you used to do on the pcgs boards....

Please don't compare me when I used to be on the pcgs boards. I may second guess myself, but I do not get into fights or argue with people like I used to, Ive changed.

Only Kevin can tell if it is the overdate. I can't see it in the photos. However, it is a nice MS62 half eagle and worth what he paid for it.

Only Kevin can tell if it is the overdate. I can't see it in the photos. However, it is a nice MS62 half eagle and worth what he paid for it.

I will check. If memory serves me correctly, an overdate is where one digit is over another right?

You realize i paid alot for it, $320. But I'm happy to hear you think its worth it.

EDIT: I looked at the 1 (the last digit) for any faint traces of a zero, I can't find one. Looked at it under a 16 power loupe. When comparing it to my other gold coins though, the coin has a lovely golden hue, where as the other coins are more of a yellow hue. Beautiful coin