• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of a kind variety of 1888/7 indian head cent (snow 3?) needs a grade!

3 posts in this topic

I found this 1888/7 indian head cent in my grandfather's old Whitman book from when he collected in the 1940-50's. It doesn't match the snow 1 or snow 2 varieties, but there is clearly a 7 under the 8. I've sent it off to ANACS to be verified but it is in pretty bad shape other than that. What do you think? I've only included the obverse because its definitly the worst of the two faces of the coin. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this coin.

59915-1888objcloseup.jpg.5ce0a3de0ac3da2368d6e3a82fba1608.jpg

59916-1888obvfull.jpg.c8a5618c8b1f1f5b956f0745bacb62e0.jpg

Is that part of the 7 poking out to the top right of the last 8? I honestly don't see any clear 7 under the 8, but then again you had the coin in hand. Is that a gash behind the eye? If so, I would guess it comes back with VG8 details?

The ones I remember seeing have a little nob on the lower left hand side of the last 8 in the digit. So really I can't say whether or not this is an overdate.

yea it is a gash behind the eye. Your correct that this coin does not resemble either the snow 1 or snow 2 varieties of the 1888/7 I have seen either. The last eight has what looks like it has a top-bar piece of a seven in the top loop of the last eight. I know what your discribing about the knob on the lower left hand side of the last 8, which isn't there in this coin. To be honest I'm not sure what is going on with this coin....but my hopes are not high...I sent it to ANACS to see if its something cool, but if not then oh well...if anyone has any thoughts or just thinks I wasted my money on a grading fee...any thoughts are welcome hehe...