• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1900 gold Liberty date set

19 posts in this topic

Newbie to the forum, and have this posted at the watercooler also. I'm considering selling a beautiful date-set of MS-65, 1900 Liberties, and would like to know what dealers should be contacted to get a fair quote. Two coins are PCGS($20, $5), and two are NGC($10, $2.5) certified. The set was purchased over ten years ago from a major national dealer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I don't know much about Gem Uncirculated gold, but if Mark Feld hasn't offered his advice already, I'd PM him.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Seeing as how the coins were graded 10 years ago, the first thought that ran through my mind was that you should have them checked out by someone to see if any of them should be re-submitted in an attempt at a higher grade.

I would be happy to help you with that and can provide references to help make you feel comfortable sending them to me. I will not be insulted if you check me out first, and even encourage you to do so.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Seeing as how the coins were graded 10 years ago, the first thought that ran through my mind was that you should have them checked out by someone to see if any of them should be re-submitted in an attempt at a higher grade.

I would be happy to help you with that and can provide references to help make you feel comfortable sending them to me. I will not be insulted if you check me out first, and even encourage you to do so.

Hi and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Mark comes highly recommended if you wish a good ROI. (thumbs u

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and advice. These coins are particularly clean and sharp at least to my untrained eye even when comparing to other PCGS/NGC MS-65 gold I've owned. While the opportunity an upgrade is intriguing, shipping the coins around is a concern. I'd need to speak with someone to completely understand how to proceed, costs associated outside of shipping, etc. I still would like to obtain a fair bid price on the set from an interested party. I'm not into on-line auctions or ebay. Let's discuss further when you have the time.

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and advice. These coins are particularly clean and sharp at least to my untrained eye even when comparing to other PCGS/NGC MS-65 gold I've owned. While the opportunity an upgrade is intriguing, shipping the coins around is a concern. I'd need to speak with someone to completely understand how to proceed, costs associated outside of shipping, etc. I still would like to obtain a fair bid price on the set from an interested party. I'm not into on-line auctions or ebay. Let's discuss further when you have the time.

Shipping can be done very safely for high-value items via Registered Mail. The package is logged in at each destination, and kept under lock and key through the entire process. The package can also be insured against loss.

Mark,

Please feel free to call me during the week at (858) 459-3884. I'd be happy to answer any questions and make suggestions regarding the potential sale of your coins.

Goldberg may be another option to consider. They have reps that can come and visit, and also pick up consignments personally. If the coins could or should upgrade, they can take care of it for you, and there was no charge for slabbing when I had a handful of coins sold through them 2 years ago.

I would go with Mark Feld. He has a stellar reputation for competence and honesty and he will give you his personal attention. Auctions are a cr@p shoot and the fees are high.

I would go with Mark Feld. He has a stellar reputation for competence and honesty and he will give you his personal attention. Auctions are a cr@p shoot and the fees are high.

Goldberg had no seller fees, and the coins all at least met the reserves that I placed (wholesale #'s a dealer said he would pay).

Not saying that Mark is not the best route, its good to know your options.

I have ad good luck selling gold through American Numismatic Rarities (now part of Stack's). I received the highest prices and they only took 5% commission.

Of course Mark Feld is utterly reliable. If you wish to use his services, he will take good care of you.

Goldberg had no seller fees, and the coins all at least met the reserves that I placed (wholesale #'s a dealer said he would pay).

Not saying that Mark is not the best route, its good to know your options.

I'm not by any means saying that I'm the best option, and might even recommend the auction route or another dealer, depending upon the particular coins. But the above comment about no "seller fees" represents what I believe to be a fairly common misconception. When considering consigning to an auction house, the seller needs to be aware of the "buyer's fees", as well, as they result in lower hammer prices, upon which the seller is paid. Most major auction houses have a 15% "buyer's fee" which, in essence, comes out of the SELLER'S pocket.

is there anyway as the seller of item to ask them not to add it on? or are you stuck with it? ive never used the big houses. who gets the 15% in end?

is there anyway as the seller of item to ask them not to add it on? or are you stuck with it? ive never used the big houses. who gets the 15% in end?
There is no way to avoid the 15% buyer's fee. Here is an illustration of why my contention is that the fee actually comes out of the seller's (not the buyer's) pocket:

Let's say that the highest bidder is willing to pay a maximum of $1150 for a coin..

Instead of bidding $1150 hammer, he bids $1000 hammer, knowing that a 15% ($150) fee will be added to the purchase price.

The seller is paid based upon the winning hammer price, which is reduced because of the buyer's premium.

If there was no buyer's fee, the highest bidder would bid $1150 hammer instead of $1000 and the seller would be paid based upon that higher price.

Call the fees whatever you want, but in reality, they come out of the seller's pocket/proceeds and go into the pocket of the auction house, one way or another. ;)

Auctions are a cr@p shoot and the fees are high.

Just for the record, anyone who consigns coins to a Scotsman auction through me is charged no fees at all, except certification fees where appropriate. And anything reserved has no buyback fees.

Sorry for all the spam for Scotsman. Also for the record, I wholeheartedly recommend Mark Feld as well (thumbs u !

Just for the record, anyone who consigns coins to a Scotsman auction through me is charged no fees at all, except certification fees where appropriate. And anything reserved has no buyback fees.

Cool! Do you think they might be interested in listing a 9,000 sf house?

Chris