• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large cent grading Q

9 posts in this topic

i grabbed this at a flea market recently, as well as an ANA grading book but still cant get a firm grip on a grade, probably because the pics aren't in color. Im having a harder time with copper coins then other ones...thanks...

59423-frontlargecent.JPG.9cf117b539f0a8d36c4c4d51f102a1c1.JPG

59425-backlargecent.JPG.1dcf62650aa2029318a905feca4384c1.JPG

The coin will only have a "details grade", maybe VF30, but the net grade will be much lower because of the corrosion. It would never grade by a leading grading service, in my opinion. And it has most likely been re-colored.

Still, a nice collector's coin, especially if you need it for an album coin. (thumbs u

Somebody dipped it or cleaned it and then wrapped it in paper towels and placed it on a heater or took their chemistry set to it. Please read more coin books before spending much money. Q. David Bowers writes easy reading coin books as do others.

The coin has considerable meat left on it. Unfortunately, it is also corroded fairly thoroughly. For the price you paid I see little harm in the transaction.

I call it sharpnes of a VF-35, a little dark but with some nice highlights, lightly corroded with a patch of pitting between the face and star 3 and near the rim between stars 2 and 3, net VG-8. Might go 10 if it looks nicer in hand.