• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1936 Norfolk Commem

23 posts in this topic

The Navy brought me to the Norfolk, VA area in 1991 and I have lived here ever since. Because of that, I have an affinity for this issue in the Classic Commem Series. I had a Norfok in NGC 68* that I had to sell so I bought this one (Sellers Images): :)

1936NGCMS66NORFOLKCOMobva.jpg

1936NGCMS66NORFOLKCOMslab.jpg

I may send it in for a regrade or at least try for a * designation. ;)

Here's a little history of this isuue for those who may be interested:

In recent years, complaints that Congress is too careless in authorizing commemorative coin issues are frequently heard. It’s been said that too many events and causes of only limited national importance have been honored and funded through the sale of such coins. Obviously, Congress has a knack for repeating its mistakes, since the same complaints were voiced 60 years earlier and ultimately led to legislation that greatly restricted the approval of new coin issues. Among the coins that prompted this action during the 1930s was the half dollar honoring the bicentennial of norfolk, Virginia’s elevation to the status of borough in 1736. This commemorative marked an event of purely local interest, and its design bore no less than five different dates, none of which was the actual date of coinage! Much maligned at the time of issue, the norfolk half dollar realized poor sales. In the irony that often attends such initial failure, it is now among the scarcer and more costly coins in the commemorative series.

The city of norfolk, Virginia is a major seaport located on the Elizabeth River. It is considered the site of the nation’s largest naval base (actually situated in neighboring Portsmouth) and has served in this role since the earliest days of United States history. In a reference not clearly defined, the date of the settlement’s original land grant is given as 1636. More certain is that it was founded as a village in 1682, incorporated as a borough in 1736 and as a city in 1845. In the early days, its principal commercial activity was the shipping of locally grown peanuts and tobacco. As its shipbuilding industry grew, so did the strategic value of norfolk as a military objective. At the onset of the Civil War, the federals were forced to flee Confederate guns in 1861, but they returned to retake the city a year later. This was not, however, until after the sunken federal ship U.S.S. Merrimac was refloated by the Confederates, plated over with iron and rechristened C.S.S. Virginia as the world’s first ironclad warship. During World Wars I and II, norfolk and its navy yard continued to expand in their military role, and this remains a major component of its economy to the present day.

As the bicentennial of norfolk borough approached, a civic group called the norfolk Advertising Board sought a commemorative coin to mark the occasion and to fund local celebrations. Recognizing the limited appeal of such an issue, the Senate reworded this bill, substituting “medal” for “coin.” In this form, the legislation was passed June 26, 1936. It was well known that medals sold poorly when measured against legal-tender coins, and the Board declined to proceed with the approved medal. Instead, it beseeched powerful Virginia Senator Carter Glass (whose portrait appears on the Lynchburg, Virginia half dollar) to make another attempt at a coin bill. This was slow in coming, but his influence finally pushed it through more than a year later on June 28, 1937. This bill authorized the coining of not more than 25,000 half dollars, to be coined at a single mint and with a single design. The fact that the bicentennial had come and gone no longer seemed relevant, as the movement to produce and sell coins had developed a life of its own.

The models for this coin were prepared by William Marks Simpson (creator of the Antietam and Roanoke halves) and his wife and fellow sculptor, Marjorie Emory Simpson. The extremely complex and crowded obverse depicts at its center the seal of the city of norfolk, with a sailing ship placed atop a plow and three bundles of wheat. The various dates associated with the progress of this city are listed, along the anniversary date of 1936. The latter is flanked by scallop shells, and a circle of rope is likewise incorporated as a further reference to the city’s seaport heritage. The reverse of the norfolk half is dominated by the Royal Mace, which was presented to the city in 1753 as a token of esteem from Lieutenant Governor Dinwiddie. The balance of the design includes the date of the original land grant and the coin’s value, as well as the various statutory legends and mottos found on all U. S. coins. The intertwined initials of the two designers appear in monogram form above the word DOLLAR.

E01.jpg

The Norfolk Mace

Architectural Description:

The norfolk Mace, cast of pure silver, is composed of nine sections which screw together to form a 41-inch long, 104-ounce mace. The staff is of irregular sizes and is elaborately ornamented with leaves and scrolls. The head is cylindrical with a slightly rounded top surmounted by an open crown and standing cross. Under the open work of the crown are the Royal Arms of Great Britain, the letters G and R, and a motto with lion and unicorn. Around the largest part of the head are the emblems of England, Scotland, France and Ireland. Ornamentation consists of the rose of England and the thistle of Scotland growing on the same stem, the fleur-de-lis of France and the harp of Ireland. The presentation inscription is in Roman letters at the base of the cylinder.

Historical Significance:

The norfolk Mace was the badge of royal authority in the old Borough of norfolk. It was presented to the Common Council on April 1, 1754 by Governor Dinwiddie. The mace bears the inscription “The Gift of the Honorable Robert Dinwiddie Esq., Lieut. Governor of Virginia to the Corporation of norfolk, 1753.”

In its early years, the mace was carried ahead of the mayor in processions and upon entering court. When norfolk was burned in 1776, the mace and public documents were taken to Kempe's Landing, now Kempsville, and kept there. For many years, thereafter, the mace was kept in the possession of the mayor. It was hidden under a hearth during the Federal occupation of 1862-1865 and not rediscovered until the 1890's. In 1894 it was found in a state of disrepair in a room in the police station. It has since been restored.

The Norfolk was generally produced with very high quality and it is slightly unusual to see one with nice toning grade as low as MS66.

Lee, even though I am biased ;) , I still think you made a nice move by selling your MS68 and buying that MS66 - it's very nice looking! (thumbs u

Thanks for all the kind words!! :) Can't wait to have the coin in-hand. I'll update this post when I have my image of the coin.

I finally picked the coin up this morning. :) Here are my images of the coin:

OTT

DSCN6306A.jpg

DSCN6306.jpg

DSCN6308.jpg

Halogen

DSCN6313b.jpg

DSCN6313.jpg

DSCN6315.jpg

Anyone think it's worth a shot at regrade and a * designation?

In my experience it appears that NGC likes to award coins with significant luster the * designation and the toning on that coin appears too dark.

I have not been able to figure out what criteria NGC uses for the star designation. It seems all over the map to me. I have many coins that I think should have a star and don't and many that have star that I think don't deserve them. Prime example is giving every single Battle Creek Morgan a star. I have seen many of the lower end examples that didn't deserve one.

Personally, I think they just flip a coin and call it a day. :jokealert:

In my experience it appears that NGC likes to award coins with significant luster the * designation and the toning on that coin appears too dark.

This was my first thought also when I saw the coin "in hand".

Still a super coin!! :)