• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Designation review for Cameo

7 posts in this topic

Speaking in general terms, has anyone tried to get a CAM added to an NGC holder and, if so, were you successful? I would tend to think NGC would be harder on an already-slabbed coin than on a raw submission.

My question excludes older generation slabs from before the CAM designation came into being.

Thanks for any feedback....

They have become ALMOST impossible to upgrade in the current environment

I have tried 5 times with in my mind NO BRAINERS without the desired result.

I agree that Cameo and many other designations like FBL and FB on Mercs has become insanely impossible on Designation Review coins. I've had better luck risking everything and cracking a coin out. I have a1959-D Franklin that was NGC MS65 and an obvious FBL. After 3 unsuccessful designation reviews, I cracked it out and resubmitted it, getting an MS64FBL on the first try. That's just one off-hand example.

Don't waste your money.

I agree that Cameo and many other designations like FBL and FB on Mercs has become insanely impossible on Designation Review coins. I've had better luck risking everything and cracking a coin out. I have a1959-D Franklin that was NGC MS65 and an obvious FBL. After 3 unsuccessful designation reviews, I cracked it out and resubmitted it, getting an MS64FBL on the first try. That's just one off-hand example.

Don't waste your money.

That's just depressing.

Thanks for all the feedback. You are all pretty much confirming what I thought, especially the phrase "don't waste your money."

Same with the star designation, it's a tough one.

I have, however, made a couple of "two-for-one" submissions.

NGC considers theirs new "First Year of Issue" holders (the replacements of existing NGC holders that is), to fall under the Designation Review Service.

So, if you have any coins (1964 Kennedy, 1909 Lincoln, the list is ENORMOUS and posted on the NGC's web site of all the coins which quality for the First Year of Issue label, it is NOT just the the last 10-20 years as some may think), you can do this:

1. Submit the coin for Designation Review

2. While the coins is being "reviewed" ask NOT ONLY for the new "First Year of Issue" holder, but for the Cameo review, Star review, or whatever superlative you seek.

It sort of kills two birds with one stone, if your carefully select which coins you submit anyway, and at least you get SOME of your money's worth, a fresh new label for your holder. Some people collect labels after all, and some people might pay a few dollars extra for the special label, AND if you are going to get the coin reviewed ANYWAY, why not get the new label (at least for those which are eligible).

Just an idea.

Not such great luck on the cameos or stars, but I got my First Year of Issue holders returned, so it wasn't a total loss.