• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gutted Got bid out on this Large Cent Die Variety

13 posts in this topic

Hi all .. check this out i missed this one with a £210.10 bid on ebay !! i could not find it in the large cent book and i did not know what to bid on it the next bid below me was £86.. and the winner got it for £212.12.. i am gutted but what can you do !!!

6812_1.jpg

6900_1.jpg

anyone know which N it is ? and its current market value ?

It's not just the color that is wrong. The coin has numerous spots and stains that have been lightened and that indicate poor care of the coin, including significant surface alteration. The coin also appears to have significant verdigris on the reverse and has had some removed from the obverse. There's nothing that appears original about the piece, bad photo or not, and it's likely that you saved yourself the headache of a problem coin, ... mate. ;)

Hoot

Looks like it is probably a N-1 to me. Mid to late die state but not the latest one. The obv rim cuds haven't reached their greatest extent, and the horizontal bar across the center of O in OF is developing. (What used to be N-15)

No mate it was photoed on red with poor lighting (shrug)

Although photographing a coin on a colored background can possibly affect the color balance for cameras utilizing an auto color balance function, if the camera has been preset with a correct color profile for the lighting being used, it won't matter what color the underlying surface is.

Although photographing a coin on a colored background can possibly affect the color balance for cameras utilizing an auto color balance function, if the camera has been preset with a correct color profile for the lighting being used, it won't matter what color the underlying surface is.

And if it hasn't been preset correctly?? And I am sure you will agree that there are a LOT of camera shooting pictures for eBay that haven't been set correctly.

The un dooly'd pictures from eBay

6812_1-1.jpg

6900_1-1.jpg

Yes i would have guessed at N-1 from the pictures but there seemed to be way more rim cuds ..

thanks Conder

I was also watching that one and couldn't believe the price it went for. It seems there are many peeps in Europe that love copper coins with cuds on them because everyone I've tried to get, I got outbid by quite a bit. :censored:

I wanted that one too but I wouldn't have paid anywhere near what it went for, but I'm a cheapskate and like getting mine dirt cheap. :D

Ribbit :)

Yep i know what you mean I was hopeing for about $200 for it .. hope the ones i have listed to go off tonight do as well :wishluck:

i know what you mean about the outbidding as well i have only won 2 lots of coins this week there seems to be some money going about at the moment..