• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oral Comps today...post your "luckiest" coin...

19 posts in this topic

Luck you don't need luck. You are prepared and you will kick the carp out of this test! Just in case here's my luckiest coin, I lost my previous one. :roflmao:

58619-1920MaineMS65Obverse.JPG.f6ff10ed829fa945488b0e21e8fb8cc3.JPG

58620-1920MaineMS65Reverse.JPG.b6c4a33454dcdd15fef37fa6bad21e29.JPG

It's not any sort of lucky coin, but I purchased this coin raw for $30 very shortly before I took my oral exam qualifier for matriculation to the PhD degree and not only did the coin later certify PCGS MS67, but I did well on the qualifier, too. hm

E1938DP67.jpg

E1938DP67R.jpg

My oldest duaghter crammed for her Oral Comps. too. She was ready and said they were easier than she the level she had crammed for. Good luck.

Orals can definitely s_ck. However, since they do find out your weaknesses (in my case the optics of transmitted, refracted, and reflected light), they do in the long run make you a better professional. Of course, the coursework to deal with this information deficit can be tedious.

In any case, Good Luck!!! May you shoot for the stars! And, since you are talking about Piling it Higher and Deeper, here's a lucky Higher object for you... not a coin, but definitely numismatic...

Faith7Obv.jpg

Faith7Rev.jpg

Thanks everyone... I Passed!!

To celebrate I traded in my 1884-CC GSA Dollar (blast white) for an 1883-CC with really nice peripheral toning. I'm putting together a date set of "Toned Morgans"...but not the wild rainbow toned pieces... more of an understated peripheral/champagne toned set. I can't seem to locate my digital camera but when I do I'll definitely get some pics posted.

Thanks for the kind thoughts today... I only have about three months to go before I defend!

SkyMan... Yep... they found my Achilles heel as well... mutation rate calculations as they relate to certain aspects of phylogenetics. At one point I really felt like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person but I guess that's part of their job... ;)

SkyMan... Yep... they found my Achilles heel as well... mutation rate calculations as they relate to certain aspects of phylogenetics. At one point I really felt like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person but I guess that's part of their job... ;)

Just remember one thing... once you've got the "union card", er, excuse me, Ph.D., then you get to grill the next dumb b_stard who is foolish enought to want to get one. :devil:

I thought about getting a PhD. for about five minutes and realized that in business an MBA is great. Besides I saw the agony that my daughter was going through. My oldest daughter is an Anthropology professor and needed a PhD. for her work.

Before she received her PhD, she worked one summer at the Donner site and did all the bone analysis (her expertise), but a PhD at her university took all the credit for the bone work that she and a Graduate Assistant did. She was (4) months shy of publishing her thesis. The Donner Site exploration was written up in the New Yorker magazine and they gave her and her lab assistant credit for the all the laboratory work sorting bones and conducting studies of 8000 bone fragments, using an Electron Microscope which was nice.