• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone fancy a MS-67 Graded 1890 P Morgan dollar ?

17 posts in this topic

I guess the Brits don't follow the same standards as U.S. graders do.

The standard line on “European grading” was that it was far more strict that U.S. standards. Year ago I was at the JJ Teaparty store in Boston when a British gentlemen came in to look at some English coins. The subject of grading came up, and I was asked to grade a few British pieces. I was consistently one grade higher than the “European standard.” At that time that was the difference between U.S. and European standards.

I’d say that this UK Grade Evaluation Company is probably their version of a “third world slab” company. MS-67 graded Morgan dollars are few and far between, and 1890 is not noted for being a date that comes extremely nice. The date is common enough, but very high grade examples of that coin are rare.

I guess the Brits don't follow the same standards as U.S. graders do.

The standard line on “European grading” was that it was far more strict that U.S. standards. Year ago I was at the JJ Teaparty store in Boston when a British gentlemen came in to look at some English coins. The subject of grading came up, and I was asked to grade a few British pieces. I was consistently one grade higher than the “European standard.” At that time that was the difference between U.S. and European standards.

I’d say that this UK Grade Evaluation Company is probably their version of a “third world slab” company. MS-67 graded Morgan dollars are few and far between, and 1890 is not noted for being a date that comes extremely nice. The date is common enough, but very high grade examples of that coin are rare.

I was kidding. Forgot to add a lol.

Nice perspective on Euro grading, though.

sorry you lot i did not make it clear These are totally self graded coins the UK one works on the 100 scale.. so these are not 3rd world there 4/5 world gradings .. he probably did them himself, which should be evident with the no returns policy.. saying that he also probably would not know what a vam was so if they are cheep enough what the hell Haha lol

Forty some years ago, I used to buy coins at Eaton's (Sear's) coin shop in Toronto. Their grading was english or european grading, if you will. Most pieces that we would market grade as AU-MS62, would grade simply EF with no number by this system. BU coins were mint state, Select, grade or better by our standards, without problems. I bought many nice gold coins that were EF that I wish I still had. Many of them were sliders (AU58-AU62) by today's standards. Their standard was much more strict than the standard in the U.S. at that time.

Are you making fun of ICG's slab?

Chris

Not at all, more like poking fun at self slabbers. lol

Thanks for the pointer Dooly.

Given the disastrous numerical systems that Britain has given us Yanks... 12 inches to the foot, 5,280 feet to the mile, 16 ounces to the pound, water freezing at 32 degrees and boiling at 212, I'm surpised that you folks actually have a 1 - 100 scale grading system for your coins at your 1st World slabbers.