• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 W SILVER EAGLE REVERSE OF 2007 NGC MS 70

44 posts in this topic

Out of control is an understatement!!

Just saw 2 auctions end for over $800!!

I don't mind it too much....got mine for $300 :applause:

And you will be okay as long as the Price does not go down to less than $300.00 if it is all hype. If it goes down to your $300.00 then the people who are now paying $800.00 will be at the disadvantage. If it doesn't go above $800.00 then they will break even.

The higher it gets then the least likely chance there is of it going up furtther for the short term.Maybe Maybe not.

Yep. We saw this phenomenon of collecting with the gold proof Rolf Harris here in Australia. 1000 minted, $175, sold out the first day I think it was.. and demand high. The few on ebay dried up at 300 and we waited.. then 400 500 and 800.. now you never see them and they are 900+

Out of control is an understatement!!

Just saw 2 auctions end for over $800!!

I don't mind it too much....got mine for $300 :applause:

And you will be okay as long as the Price does not go down to less than $300.00 if it is all hype. If it goes down to your $300.00 then the people who are now paying $800.00 will be at the disadvantage. If it doesn't go above $800.00 then they will break even.

The higher it gets then the least likely chance there is of it going up furtther for the short term.Maybe Maybe not.

The price I paid doesn't bother me..if the price tanks...oh well.

I love the Silver eagles and collect them because of that..not the value :) And that should be the main reason for collecting.

Value to me is like chocolate syrup on top of some good ice cream...it's nice to have but not as important as the sweet cold stuff underneath!! :)

Check this out......ebay item #160244807637

If i was the one bidding like this, someone would have to commit me after I won it!

Jeez!! That's way over the edge!! :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:

The people paying these outlandish prices would do well to study a few earlier instances of coins that have had their price run up by hype. Two in particular: the 1986 Statue of Liberty $5 gold, which was selling well upwards of $300 due to it being "sold out," and the certified Morgan dollar craze of the late 80's, when an 1881-s in MS-65 could fetch over $500.

The S of L has gotten up to around $230 recently, presumably due to the rise in the price of gold, and the Morgan has to be prooflike, colorfully toned, or in an old holder to bring much more than $140.

I would not pay that much but it is a personal decision. If I had one then I would sell it if I could get that Price.There are a lot of other coins that I like better that cost $800.00 or $2300.00

I just can't imagine somebody paying that much. Maybe people concentrating on this coin and the Money spent will allow me to get better Prices on other coins.

Meanwhile its whatever floats your boat.

I never cease to be amazed that such a common coin can sell at what I would describe as a ridiculous price. For a few hundred, it might be a profitable opportunity though I still believe there are many other coins with much better prospects. For over $1000, no.

I think that if your willing to pay that much and really want it in a pcgs holder why not get a couple in ngc holder and have it/ them crossed over?

Just looking to see if anyone else has received the Early Releases label from NGC in Brown / Gold instead of the normal Blue special labeling. I sent in 4 Eagles to be graded and 1 came back with the Blue label where as the rest came back in the Brown / Gold marked Early Releases, as those in 2006. Just trying to do a relevancy check.

The early release label color for this coin should have no bearing on its price. Please note NGC's reply to my question on this very subject,

"The very first “Early Releases” were done on brown labels as the blue labels could not be printed in time for the first eligible coin. Coins that have the brown labels can be sent back to NGC and we will correct this.

There is absolutely no reason to pay a premium for such a mislabeled coin as it is not a rarity.

Regards,

Pam Kesten, NGC Marketing Coordinator"

That's not to say someone might not try to exploit the label color difference... ;)