• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help grading Standing liberty quarter dollars

18 posts in this topic

Hi there i have never owned or had the chance to own a "good" Standing liberty 1/4$'s hear in the UK and i was wondering if my "guesstamate" of this coin being a MS-60 coin over generous or under grading it ..

the strike seems good to me and a quite even tone .. your opinions please

1917.jpg1917r.jpg

It looks like an AU55-58 coin to me. Note the discoloration/lighter areas, in particular at Liberty's right (to viewer's left) knee, as well as the eagle's breast and part of the outer wing area.

I'd grade the coin AU-58. There is a rub on the high points, which take it out of the strict Mint State class. The rub on the knee is where I always look, and there is more rub on the head, shield and thigh.

Your estimate of MS-60 is not that far off. I've often seen these coins in MS-61 through MS-63 holders with rub on the knee. I kind of doubt that this coin would make it to a Mint State holder, but it's not beyond the relm of possibility.

AU-58, in my opinion.

With a good strike! Good coin, most likely. There are some spots on it. If when you get it in hand, if the toning is just average then I would dip it to remove the spots and properly rinse it.

95% of the time, I prefer an original coin but sometimes a dip improves the coin drastically, IMO. I just dipped my AU58 1853 dime. I just did not like it's appearance so I dipped it. It turned out awesome with incredible luster that wasn't evident before the dipping.

Just a possibility to keep in mind. (thumbs u

Very nice coin, Dooly. Looks to be AU 58 or a little higher, some slight wear on the extreme high points keeps it out of mint state, but looks like a full head to me.

Great strike. That coin might well bring $150 on ebay here. Good luck grabbing it, if you do or already have done so.

As expected some great information from you all .. lets see what its like in the hand (thumbs u

The coin is clearly and without doubt an AU. Look at the exposed knee and area just above it. This area is discolored from wear and will be a giveaway as to an AU SLQ.

Well i have put my bid in .. now its all your lots fault if its a sag of bhit if i win it . :baiting:

AU-58, and a very beautiful one at that. Great strike, great chainmail and shield and head details. Interesting year, too.

^^ well its got a new home now and my top bid was just 55pence above the final figure.. I paid way too much for it (tsk) its as if i was paying in $'s not £'s :o but it was a had to have coin in my opinion.. also it has really cost me nothing as my portuguese 1937 sold for good money and i picked that up for less than $10 and sold it for over $460.00 so i am trying to make myself feel better for the price i had to pay..so lets see how it is in the hand !!!!!!! :screwy:

You paid THAT, and did not even get any cleavage....... :o

Nah, just kidding. Nice pickup there Dooly. I still have that type 2 slot in my 7070, and am thinking of having the same year for type 1 and 2. I would be glad to have that one sitting in the slot.

MM

I just looked it up. You paid quite a bit and it would appear to me that you would have to get the coin designated as AU58FH in order to hope to make any money.