• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whaddaya think? 1883 no cents

13 posts in this topic

I think it's probably a business strike No Cents Nickel? (shrug)

;)

It looks like a sharply struck example, with the obverse stars (a number of which are often softly struck) being well defined. I can't tell if it has any luster to speak of, so my grade guess is in the MS63-64 range

Bingo - PCGS MS64. I paid $75.

I like the strike, but I'm not sure what I think about the surface originality.

I agree. My immediate thought was "cleaned".

I was cataloging coins yesterday for an auction, and came across a three-cent nickel in a PCGS PR-64 slab. Its cheek has been carefully and very deceptively tooled to diminish the negative effect of a planchet defect.

There are a lot more "problem" coins in respectable holders than collectors realize, which I guess was the original impetus for CAC.

It's a decent coin that grades in the MS-63 to 64 range. These things were widely hoarded because the "NO CENTS" situation, and so they are quite common in the grades from Choice AU to MS-64. Don't get the idea that this is unique opportunity. There are plenty of these coins around in this grade.

I don't see any hairlines on it. What I was wondering about is the color - there seems to be a little streaking and spotting going on, which I was wondering about. Is that normal for the issue?

There were often alloying issues with Liberty nickels. This often causes alloying problem color streaks on these nickels (usually copper colored).

Bingo - PCGS MS64. I paid $75.

I like the strike, but I'm not sure what I think about the surface originality.

I agree. My immediate thought was "cleaned".

Exactly what I thought, although I put it at 63 to begin with, partially I suppose due to the negative eye appeal of the alleged cleaning.