• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US New Presidential Coins

18 posts in this topic

On http://dig4coins.com/news/latest/new-2008-presidential-1-coins-to-be-introduced-into-circulation.html I have recently read some news stating that each 3 months, starting February 14, new presidential coins will be issued; valuing 1 dollar. The first presidential coin was James Monroe’s, featuring his image on the obverse. It was the 5th president of USA. After 3 months, the 6th president will be incrusted on the next dollar coin. This procedure will be repeated 2 more times for the 7th and 8th, till November 13. It is an interesting method of putting in circulation valuable coins. In some time these coins will be an interesting material for collecting. It’s a pity they issued only 4 presidents… very few.

This program started last year with the issuance of Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison $1 coins.

It will continue into the future until all eligible U.S. Presidents have been depicted.

And I will be dead before it is ever completed.

Chris

This program started last year with the issuance of Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison $1 coins.

It will continue into the future until all eligible U.S. Presidents have been depicted.

And I will be dead before it is ever completed.

Chris

Such optimism!! ;)

I'll be around... I don't plan to die! I want a complete set!! :kidaround:

Scott :hi:

This program started last year (2007) with the issuance of Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison $1 coins.

Whew! Thanks! I couldn't believe what I was reading and for a second, thought I was dreamin'!

I would be curious to know what you mean by valuable. I have know idea what these sell for because I have no interest in them. But it is unlikely that any of them will become valuable except possibly for the mint errors and any conditional rarities. There are simply too many of them for coins that are unlikely to circulate widely even if the mintages seem small versus other denominations.

I just don't see them becoming valuable. They are so inexpensive now that they have ot issus them with the Proof sets because the shipping cost of $4.95 would be a large percentage of their cost.They also have to send four at once because of this situation.

The onlt ones that have a chance is the errors. In the May 12th issue of Coin world there is mentioned an error on the 2007 Jefferson Proof. The words are out of sequence on the side in some of them.

I don't see anybody talking about it on here. Seems that all the talk is on the variety of the 2008 reverse of 07 for which there are at least 47,000 of them while nobody knows about the number of errors on the Jefferson.

I stupidly bought five presidential sets from the mint last year. I ended up blowing them off for $7 a set because I could see the handwriting on the wall. These things, even as Proofs, are not really worth much more than face value IMO. They are a VERY bad buy. Collectors are really getting tired if this never ending stream of *spoon* that the mint is selling. :pullhair:

I stupidly bought five presidential sets from the mint last year. I ended up blowing them off for $7 a set because I could see the handwriting on the wall. These things, even as Proofs, are not really worth much more than face value IMO. They are a VERY bad buy. Collectors are really getting tired if this never ending stream of *spoon* that the mint is selling. :pullhair:

As I mentioned earlier. The U.S.Mint has to package them with other issues because of their low cost. I am on the subscription list for the regualr Proof set and they se me a Proof set with " 10 of fourteen coins". Ten was the regular Proof and the other four was the Presidential whether you want them or not.

I was pulling them from bank rolls back in '07, but at the end of the year, I took a look at them, vomited, and gave up on the series. I pulled the best coin from $50 worth per president and they still look like dogs. Ugh.

I agree, they are the ugliest US coins I have ever seen. Actually, the only one I have is the Washington NGC gave me with my renewal packet. It hardly even looks like a real coin to me but more like a toy. I would not pay a dime over face value for any of them.

I was pulling them from bank rolls back in '07, but at the end of the year, I took a look at them, vomited, and gave up on the series.

:signfunny:

I just don't see them becoming valuable. They are so inexpensive now that they have ot issus them with the Proof sets because the shipping cost of $4.95 would be a large percentage of their cost.They also have to send four at once because of this situation.

The onlt ones that have a chance is the errors. In the May 12th issue of Coin world there is mentioned an error on the 2007 Jefferson Proof. The words are out of sequence on the side in some of them.

I don't see anybody talking about it on here. Seems that all the talk is on the variety of the 2008 reverse of 07 for which there are at least 47,000 of them while nobody knows about the number of errors on the Jefferson.

There are 881 Jefferson Errors

20ea MS64

364ea MS65

393ea MS66

103ea MS67

and only 1 MS68

I have a PCGS Jefferson error I am sending back (had 30 days to look at it)

It is a missing edge lettering PCGS MS65 and they want $2750.00 for it.

Yeah, right!!!

On Nov 24th last year this coin had a "buy it now price" @ $6,500.00

and sold for $4500.00 on e-bay. The seller was imu455 and he must be

laughing all the way to the bank.

As for the 2008 reverse of 2007-they are selling for 500.00 to 700.00

Gainsville had them for 350.00 or so and Modern had them for 499.00

last week. Modern has since raised its price to $600.00 for a MS 70

I am not sure we are talking about the same Jefferson errors. It was only in the May 12, issue of Coin World that they were mentioned and they aren't missing letters.All the letters are there . The words are just out of the proper sequence in some cases.