• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit NCS/NGC Slabs?

11 posts in this topic

Howdy fellow coin peeps,

About four weeks ago I posted a question in the NGC Forum asking for authenticity confirmation of a NGC slabbed Draped Bust Dollar I had doubts about and as of this posting, I have not heard back from NGC nor has my posted question been answered/posted publicly in that forum. Two weeks after emailing the question and posting the question in their forum, I called NGC and received confirmation my post and email were received and I was told it was being forwarded to the person who could provide confirmation, but still, I have not heard back from NGC nor have they posted a response in their forum.

I am wondering if anyone here knows if this is the norm for NGC to not be forthcoming on verifying authenticity of their slabbed coins or verifying a NGC counterfeit slab?

Thanks,

Toad :)

I wouldn't say they are not forthcoming - they are just slow sometimes.

You could post the question here, and the members could likely answer the question much faster, and accurately.

I saw a post somewhere, but they were very nicely done... the counterfeits that is... The main thing that you could use to tell them apart was on the reverse seal... there were some misspellings. If you have a doubt about a coin, take a look at the reverse hologram and if it's spelled right it is mostl likely ok.

Can't find your post Toad.

I think it's gone.

He said that the moderators never made it visible. A search would not result in finding it.

Can't find your post Toad.

I think it's gone.

They never posted it LD. It's been a month now and still no word from them. I don't understand why they don't reply, especially PMG since I would like to send in what I sent them a question about.

Ribbit :)

I still haven't heard anything but I found this:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=954

I just read that article on counterfeit NGC slabs and noted the label corners are different on the counterfeits. The question I sent to NCS concerned a NCS slab I thought was a counterfeit and after two months, still no word from them. I went on their website just now and all labels on their slabs are square cornered (hologram label) and the one I questioned had corners identical to the counterfeit NGC labels.

So, does anyone know whether NCS hologram labels are square cornered or did they also have hologram labels with corners identical to the counterfeit NGC labels?

Ps: Here are pics of the coin and slab:

1798obv2ub8.jpg

1798rev2mc1.jpg

1798obvsw5.jpg

1798revwo7.jpg

Pps: I would like to hear from NCS on whether this is authentic but moreover, to find out if they did "conserve" this coin, because I've seen some of their work and they do a great job making a "ugly" coin look awesome and this coin doesn't appear to me to have been "conserved" well but I also don't have a clue what it looked like prior to conservation, if it is authentic, so "before" pics would be nice to see, if they would post those when verifying authenticity. :)

Ps: In my original post, I said NGC but as you can see, it was NCS. I had forgotten who slabbed the coin and went from memory and as everyone knows, that's the first thing to go. :blush: