• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shield Nickel help

15 posts in this topic

Where can I find info about the different varieties for the Shield nickels? I have an 1866 that I wan to research.

100_5648.jpg

100_5649.jpg

I believe there is one person in the world who collects Shield nickels...let me see...maybe IGWT knows who it is? hm

F-13 (FS-001.4) shows similar re-punching to the date BUT your date is a lot further from the ball and there should be two large areas of raised metal between ES of STATES which i cannot see in you pictures .. i will do some further investigation..

scan0005.jpg

I have looked through SNV and cannot find your coin i think you should contact Skippy (Howard) about this.. I could have been looking in the wrong place but i could not find a match with the date so low (shrug)

Ps. is there a bit of a drift in the annulet or is that the scanner ?

The problem with that is if it is not in cherrypickers they will not assign which variety it is (shrug)

Do you have an email address for Howard or how is the best way to contact him. I can't seem to find any pictures on shieldnickels.net.

Dooly,

Is this not an S1 4001 as is shown from the die crack from the rim to the N and across the top of UNITED? Maybe an earlier die state? JMO

Jim

First of all, do not send this to NGC - it will be a waste of your money and you won't learn what variety it is.

Second, I am guessing from your inset photos of the date that you see a repunched date on this coin. Your photo is not good enough for me to tell whether there is a repunched date or not. If there is a repunched date, then it is one that has not yet been catalogued.

The suggestion above that this might be S1-4001 cannot be true because the date on this coin is much farther west than S1-4001.

In conclusion: either no variety at all or possibly a repunched date. If you are able to provide a much enlarged photo of the date I can probably tell you which. If you are using a scanner, just set the scanner to 1200 dpi.

Hi all - i thought i was having trouble finding it.. love the die cracks on the revers (thumbs u

i have had a fiddle around with your scan and this is the best i could do (shrug)

scan0005-1.jpg

Well my scanner is one of the combo one's connected with a printer. I will try to get a closeup of the date with my camera and a loupe later today.

I see doubling to the north on the date, but I still can't tell if that's a repunched date or just strike doubling. You uploaded a photo with a lot of JPEG compression, which makes it harder to tell.

Use a higher quality JPEG. If the message board won't let you post it, email it to me at: howard@sci1.com