• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BEST way to store Lincolns?

3 posts in this topic

i want my RED to last forever.. so what's the best way to keep em that way?

slabs i guess. but i'm not going to send them all in. and i heard PCGS only guarantees the color for 3 years?

how about airtites?

2x2's.. lets air in huh

Intercept seems to be the best album, and i don't trust dansco.. for some reason my proof quarters and jeffs are turning.

any suggestions?

i want my RED to last forever..

any suggestions?

Yeah, seriously consider collecting gold. lol

Copper corrodes.

Airtites and oils help, as does storage in a cool dry stable place, but they likely only delay the inevitable mellowing of red copper.

Personally, I prefer the presumably more stable RB coins, but that's just me, and I have them in both slabs and airtites and Danscos -- I prefer Airtites and have red Lincoln's that have stayed in semi-airtight acrilic holders completely untoned for almost thirty years.

All IMHO and hoping it helps...Mike

p.s. I believe PCGS's copper guarantee is lifetime, but NGC's has a time limit. From the NGC FAQ:

Q. Are all coins certified & encapsulated by NGC covered by the NGC guarantee?

A. The NGC Guarantee does not apply to copper, bronze or copper nickel coins graded by NGC prior to April 1, 2000. To the extent that the NGC Guarantee applies to copper, bronze, or copper nickel coins, the NGC Guarantee expires with respect to such coin(s) on the ten year anniversary of the date of encapsulation by NGC. Additionally, any NGC certified coin deemed by us to be representative of a clerical error is not covered by the NGC guarantee. Clerical errors may be returned to NGC for correction of labeling at no charge to the submitter.