• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Suprised By This BB

37 posts in this topic

It looks so nice that it must have had something done to it.

I’m so cynical about PCGS and NGC grading on early copper that I’d be ready to give snide response such as that.

Maybe they thought that something had been lifted from the left field in front of Ms. Liberty's nose and chin.

Doesn't seem to be the same coin that is in the slab
Yet another example of how it's often extremely difficult or impossible to form and provide meaningful opinions based upon images.

Doesn't seem to be the same coin that is in the slab
Yet another example of how it's often extremely difficult or impossible to form and provide meaningful opinions based upon images.

Very true, especially flatbed scans of copper. Coin was properly graded IMO upon in hand view. Lesson learned for me, keep it in current holder, or cross in the holder, before trying a crack out. Lifes all about learning. :)

1833halfcentslabobv.jpg

1833halfcentobv.jpg

1833halfcentrev.jpg

DSCN5620.jpg

DSCN5622.jpg

DSCN5595.jpg

DSCN5596.jpg

1833PCGSBB.jpg

I agree with Tom B -- unless there is obvious PVC slime or green stuff, I never soak copper or nickel coins in acetone to "stabilize the surfaces". It is very possible the acetone caused the coin's color or surface to change which caused the bodybag. I ruined an MS Buffalo nickel once when all I was trying to do was "stabilze the surface" -- it went from nicely toned to horribly streaked.